Unlocked Phone Options.

My contract for my current phone is up in April. Ideally I'd love to get a Nexus 4, unlocked and then use a Straight Talk sim for service. But the Nexus 4 is out of stock, so my question is, what is the best currently available Android phone that is unlocked and will take a Straight Talk SIM?
posted by 922257033c4a0f3cecdbd819a46d626999d1af4a to Technology (8 answers total)

The Galaxy Nexus is a wonderful device. I am quite fond of mine and consider it superior to the Nexus 4.

They are still available if you look around, though not 'officially' from the Play Store.
posted by tenseone at 5:49 PM on January 18, 2013

April is plenty of time to get a Nexus 4.

Aside from that, Galaxy Nexus.
posted by kindall at 5:51 PM on January 18, 2013

i just got a galaxy nexus from swappa.com ........great stuff. Probably the only advantages the n4 has are 1. looks (the glass back is sexy and the screen is vv hires) and 2 camera (8mp vs 5mp) and 3 processor speed, but having run many things on my gnex real the nly time you will be able to tell the difference is if is youre playing some v spiffy game with monster graphics.

the gnex has a removable battery and much much much more support in the aftermarket for accessories and. roms. also it is a more robust phone. i highly recommend it!
posted by lalochezia at 6:00 PM on January 18, 2013

lalochezia did a fantastic job of summing up of the advantages of the Galaxy Nexus. My two favorites are the removable battery and the ROMs.

Paranoid Android has become 'stock' Android in my mind.
posted by tenseone at 6:05 PM on January 18, 2013

I'm very happy with my Galaxy S III.
posted by treehorn+bunny at 7:07 PM on January 18, 2013 [1 favorite]

LG has hinted that inventory issues with the N4 will be cleared up by March.

As a former Galaxy owner and current Nexus 4 owner, I say wait. They're worlds apart.
posted by dobbs at 9:30 PM on January 18, 2013

Interview with LG.
posted by dobbs at 9:47 PM on January 18, 2013

Given the price, I'd hold out for a Nexus 4. Having owned both it and the Galaxy Nexus, they're largely comprable, but the Nexus 4 has a higher quality screen and will likely be supported by Google for longer.

The main hardware differences, beyond CPU, seem to be the glass back on the Nexus 4 (which feels oh-so-nice, but also causes the thing to slip down any smooth incline), its use of a Micro SIM, the non-removable battery, and support for Qi wireless charging.

...so I guess it's a wash. But I am very happy that I upgraded to the Nexus 4 from the Galaxy Nexus.
posted by SemiSophos at 8:00 AM on January 19, 2013

« Older Opera doesn't want me wasting my time   |   What to do when your FWB turns out to have a... Newer »