Is this some sort of compass?
January 1, 2013 12:27 PM   Subscribe

What is this mysterious art supply object?

I found this metal object in a box of old art supplies.

The blue bit unscrews to slide to any spot and then tightens to lock into place.

What could it be?
posted by cirrostratus to Media & Arts (3 answers total)
Look for Staedtler 55680 in google and you'll find it's an extension to a compass.
posted by Akke at 12:29 PM on January 1, 2013 [1 favorite]

First hit, scroll down a bit:
posted by Akke at 12:30 PM on January 1, 2013

Yup. Compass extension for scribing circles (or arcs) larger than the full spread of the compass calipers. That bit at the end that holds the lead can be moved along the length of the arm.
posted by Thorzdad at 12:57 PM on January 1, 2013

« Older Fix my crummy 80s Hi Fi   |   Teach me about Applied Math Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.