Where've I heard this chanted chorus before?

The chanted chorus of this Korean song (at about 1min) sounds very familiar to me. What song does it remind me of?
posted by stebulus to Grab Bag (9 answers total)

It put me in mind of Garbage's blood for poppies chorus. Listening to them one after the other, I think it's more the phrasing than the actual melody that's leading me to that association.
posted by bfranklin at 6:49 AM on December 9, 2012

It's the most basic harmonic progression I IV V I, in four time. So it reminds you of everything.
posted by Namlit at 7:01 AM on December 9, 2012 [3 favorites]

Blondie, The Tide Is High
posted by mochapickle at 7:38 AM on December 9, 2012 [3 favorites]

Everything, but I'm hearing Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride
posted by bottlebrushtree at 8:41 AM on December 9, 2012

Men At Work - Land Down Under is what I immediately thought of.
posted by cmoj at 10:29 AM on December 9, 2012

Also UB40...
posted by thebrokedown at 11:24 AM on December 9, 2012

The beat and rhythm and "island" sound, though not the chorus, reminds me of Matthew Wilder's "Break my stride."
posted by zippy at 11:30 AM on December 9, 2012

It may be the cultural novelty of Korean music to Western ears in combination with the common "Pachelbel's canon progression" of Western music that's pinging your Very Familiar sense.
posted by thatdawnperson at 3:20 PM on December 9, 2012

I can see "Break My Stride," though the general feel also reminds me of Culture Club... somewhere. I'd try the rhythm on Songtapper to see what comes up, but it's not working for me.

The chanted aspect reminds me of the earwormy jingle currently used in a UPS(?) commercial, "It Ain't What You Do," by Bananarama & Fun Boy Three, from '82 (though it's a cover of a calypso song from the '30s). If you've seen that commercial that might be why it's in your subconscious.

Then again, I'd never heard the song before and thought it sounded suspiciously like the Macarena song, which obviously came out in the '90s, although apparently that was accused of plagiarizing a '70s Spanish pop song. Or a traditional children's song.

I'm sure John Fogerty and Joe Satriani are involved too somehow...
posted by TheSecretDecoderRing at 4:23 PM on December 9, 2012

« Older Great OFFLINE iPad apps for old farts?   |   What big band swing LPs, 45s, or artists would you... Newer »