Recommend me bands highly similar to Filter (& Army of Anyone)!!
December 1, 2012 11:36 AM   Subscribe

Recommend me bands highly similar to Filter. I really love them; do any mefi-ers know of very similar bands? I also really loved Army of Anyone, and was bummed when they disbanded! Thanks!!
posted by thespiritroom to Media & Arts (8 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Have you checked out last.fm's similar artists? (Army of Anyone come up as the highest match.)
posted by munyeca at 11:50 AM on December 1, 2012

Stabbing Westward. God Lives Underwater. Gravity Kills. Possibly Julien-K, which is the new project from the guys from Orgy.
posted by infinitywaltz at 11:50 AM on December 1, 2012

You might like Institute. They were as "supergroup" of ex-members of Bush, Helmet, Iceburn and Orange 9mm.
posted by blaneyphoto at 11:50 AM on December 1, 2012

Cop Shoot Cop (esp. the albums Release and Ask Questions Later)
NIN (esp. the albums Broken and The Downward Spiral)
Ministry (esp. the albums The Land of Rape and Honey, The Mind Is A Terrible Thing to Taste, and Psalm 69)
Therapy?
Prong
Alice in Chains
God Lives Underwater
Stabbing Westward
How To Destroy Angels
A Perfect Circle
Tool (esp. the album Aenima)
Deftones
Grinderman
Queens of the Stone Age

You might also get a kick out of David Bowie's album 1.Outside, which was his (IMHO successful) attempt to make a NIN-like David Bowie album.
posted by Sticherbeast at 11:53 AM on December 1, 2012

Oh, also, check out Stabbing Westward's song "Ungod" as compared with Filter's song "Hey Man Nice Shot."
posted by Sticherbeast at 11:54 AM on December 1, 2012

KMFDM, Pitchshifter, Sister Machine Gun, Bile
posted by KogeLiz at 1:51 PM on December 1, 2012

Good list so far - what about their music did you especially like?

Check out Temple of the Dog, Screaming Trees, Mad Season, and Mother Love Bone (related to both Screaming Trees and Mad Season, incidentally). They're all incestuous grunge bands.

Try the Toadies (pretty obscure at this point but right in there) too.
posted by bookdragoness at 6:24 PM on December 1, 2012

Also check out Girls Against Boys
posted by fshgrl at 4:48 AM on December 2, 2012

« Older 2010 Honda Insight - good value?   |   Audio Books for Young Children Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.