Squirrel EMS!
November 4, 2012 6:58 AM   Subscribe

Squirrel EMS?

Yesterday, an injured squirrel was shuffling around a heavily car and pedestrian-trafficked entrance to the Boston Public Gardens. It was bleeding and appeared to have limited to no use of a front leg. Besides breaking into spontaneous tears, what should we have done? (Hint: the answer is not "leave it alone to die a painful death and/or bite a good Samaritan.")
posted by keasby to Pets & Animals (3 answers total)
Boston Animal Control should be called to handle it.
If you find an injured animal in the Boston area (dogs, cats, bats, raccoons, oppossums, skunks, birds...) please call 617-635-5348 or 617-635-5349. These animals will be transported to a humane society where they will be evaluated. This service is also provided by the Animal Rescue League of Boston.
posted by dayintoday at 7:13 AM on November 4, 2012 [4 favorites]

The local animal control officers are a good option in many places. Sometimes it makes sense to contact a wildlife rehabilitator directly; rehabilitators may specialize in certain species and may be quicker to respond than animal control officers in areas with a low population density or an under-funded law enforcement agency. That said, in a populous and well-covered area like Boston, the animal control officers will probably know which rehabilitators are active and accepting new patients, and can capture and transport injured animals safely, so they're a good first call.
posted by Naiad at 7:37 AM on November 4, 2012 [1 favorite]

arl boston also handles these kinds of things

If you see an animal in distress, please call (617) 426-9170
posted by bowmaniac at 8:29 AM on November 4, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older Yeah it's new, but is it good?   |   I want to get off zoloft & onto medical MJ for... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.