comment dit-on?
October 7, 2012 12:57 PM   Subscribe

is there a sophisticated word for altering your partner's appearance?

To be more specific making someone appear more feminine or masculine by changing their hair or clothes. Maybe a french word?
posted by skwint to Writing & Language (9 answers total)
posted by leotrotsky at 12:58 PM on October 7, 2012

posted by Blazecock Pileon at 12:59 PM on October 7, 2012 [1 favorite]

posted by jeffamaphone at 1:08 PM on October 7, 2012

You are "grooming" them. The word takes on dual meaning here, on one hand referring to actual physical grooming and tending, and on the other hand referring to guiding or preparing them, wrt gender, as you would an apprentice or intern.
posted by hermitosis at 1:20 PM on October 7, 2012

I agree it is grooming. Although I am not doing it to anybody, thank you, hermitosis. There is a french word "en femme" to describe being in drag. Feminize or masculinize seems right too. There's also a word virilize but that implies through hormones. It seems like there would be an opposite for sissification but the only thing I can find is masculinization.

The only thing I can find in french is masculiniser.
posted by skwint at 2:30 PM on October 7, 2012

posted by bz at 11:55 PM on October 7, 2012

bz, i don't get it. Please explain.

I invented noitacifissis. If anyone cares.
posted by skwint at 4:43 AM on October 13, 2012

My abomination of the word muliebrity.
posted by bz at 7:30 PM on October 13, 2012

en homme? maybe?
posted by skwint at 5:58 AM on October 21, 2012

« Older How to handle husband's suicidal thoughts   |   What is the best free (open source) Office... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.