How do I insert a separator between items in the Office 2010 ribbon?
September 29, 2012 10:28 AM   Subscribe

I have finally been forced to switch from Office 2003 to Office 2010, and I am attempting to come to terms with the Ribbon interface. In the built-in Ribbon tabs, items are separated by short vertical "separator" lines, but there does not appear to be a way to insert these separators into custom tabs.

Compare the built-in Font tab with a copy that contains exactly the same items and you can see the difference:

Does anyone know how to insert these separators? They appear to be very easy to add to the Quick Access Toolbar but not to the ribbon. I am not above mucking about with the XML files that Office 2010 uses to store Ribbon customisations, but my first attempts at this have failed.
posted by alby to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I think you have to use the Custom UI Editor, though I'm not very familiar with it. I suspect you may find the answer in the comprehensive list of links in the top answer here.
posted by stopgap at 10:51 AM on September 29, 2012

Not a an answer to changing the ribbon, but one way I blunted the learning curve of dealing with the 2003>>2010 migration many moons ago was with Show Classic Menus from Addin-Tools. Even after a few years, there are certain key combinations from Office 2k3 that I still prefer to use and this add-in allows for both menu sets to display. (The key cmds work in 2010, but you have to do them somewhat blindly.)

To this day, I still don't like the ribbon overall and prefer the simple segmentation and cascading of menus. I use AITSCM in all my Office apps in a hybrid manner. In effect, I get double the number of routes to apply whatever feature I need. Sometimes menus work better, sometimes the ribbon.

Anywhere from $15 to $75 depending on what options you choose and there are bundle discounts. Not sure about a trial version, but there is a 60 day MBG and I have found them to be very responsive to support tickets.
posted by lampshade at 3:34 PM on September 29, 2012

You might find this old AskMe helpful.
posted by Conrad Cornelius o'Donald o'Dell at 9:40 PM on September 29, 2012

« Older "Buying" my car from my mom in NJ. What's the...   |   Hot air heater for a cold damp bathroom? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.