But I am a non name knowing dork.
September 14, 2012 2:30 AM   Subscribe

What is this thing called?

All I can come up wtih is "silver catering tray" but I'm thinking it must have a name? Or maybe "silver catering tray" is it's proper name? I just need to describe it to a client and I don't want to look like a non name knowing dork. THANK YOU.
posted by monkey!knife!fight! to Grab Bag (4 answers total)
I think it is a cloche (I included silver in my search, as otherwise you get cloche hats).
posted by AnnaRat at 2:38 AM on September 14, 2012

What AnnaRat said, though unless the client is specifically in food service you probably just want to call it a serving tray with dome cover/lid and move along, because you're likely to just end up having to explain what it is. (A serving tray with dome cover.)
posted by Su at 2:42 AM on September 14, 2012

Thanks so much, amazing brilliant internet strangers! I'll go with the suggested "serving tray with a dome cover (aka a cloche)" to look both precise AND all knowing.
posted by monkey!knife!fight! at 2:46 AM on September 14, 2012 [3 favorites]

Just as an aside, cloche translates to "bell" in English, so you may see it refred to as a bell tray (or some variant) as well.
posted by blue_beetle at 5:26 AM on September 14, 2012

« Older Looking for a tool to generate complex CSS layout.   |   How Can I Look Like A Reseach God For Future... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.