Looking for songs about grasslands and prairies

Looking for songs about and inspired by grasslands/prairie.

Any musical style, anywhere in the world.
posted by scrambles to Media & Arts (27 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Jayber Crow - Love Song for a Prairie Fire
posted by dismas at 6:04 PM on August 14, 2012

Wheat Kings - Tragically Hip
posted by analog at 6:09 PM on August 14, 2012

Natalie Merchant - Gold Rush Brides
posted by at the crossroads at 6:10 PM on August 14, 2012

Alela Diane - Dry Grass and Shadows (lyrics)
posted by otolith at 6:11 PM on August 14, 2012

Best answer: Don't Fence Me In
posted by snorkmaiden at 6:14 PM on August 14, 2012

Best answer: Oklahoma!
posted by Sys Rq at 6:17 PM on August 14, 2012

Omaha by Counting Crows was the first thing I thought of. It's as much midwestern America culturally as geographically though, I suppose.
posted by restless_nomad at 6:20 PM on August 14, 2012

Bury me not on the lone prairie
posted by Ideefixe at 6:21 PM on August 14, 2012

Prairie Town (Winnipeg)
posted by methroach at 6:22 PM on August 14, 2012

Iowa by Dar Williams, maybe? Not prairie or grasslands directly, but "the hills of Iowa"…
posted by Lexica at 6:33 PM on August 14, 2012 [1 favorite]

Home on the Range "is commonly regarded as the unofficial anthem of the American West."
posted by vegartanipla at 6:38 PM on August 14, 2012

Best answer: Anything by Corb Lund, especially: Truck Got Stuck, Little Foothills Heaven, Short Native Grasses and Apocalyptic Modified Blues
posted by blue_bicycle at 6:41 PM on August 14, 2012

When the Bloom is on the Sage. Hot Club of Cowtown does a great cover.
posted by pickypicky at 6:45 PM on August 14, 2012

Best answer: One of the best songs on this subject is the incredible Járbă, Máré Járbă by Kanizsa Csillagai, a Beás Roma group from Hungary. The song is sung in the Beás dialect of Romanian, but isn't terribly hard to understand if you know a few Romance languages. The title translates to something like "Grass, Big Grass," and is a song of longing for home with the knowledge that one can't really ever return. It's one of those incredible Roma songs that combine a quick tempo and upbeat sound with really bittersweet lyrics. Every time I hear it, I want to cry a little.
posted by Dee Xtrovert at 6:45 PM on August 14, 2012 [2 favorites]

Best answer: Ol' Texas. (You probably already know this song, even if you don't remember it.)
posted by SPrintF at 6:53 PM on August 14, 2012

I've loved Buy for Me the Rain by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band since the Waterloo TV station [citation needed] used it for the Weekly Farm Report.
posted by mimi at 8:54 PM on August 14, 2012

Best answer: Billy the Kid, Aaron Copland
posted by spatula at 9:17 PM on August 14, 2012

Best answer: I can't confirm that this is grassland-inspired, but if you listen I think you'll know.

Dvorak: String Quartet No. 12 in F major, Op. 96, "American": II. Lento

If find it haunting and incredibly moving at the same time.
posted by trinity8-director at 9:34 PM on August 14, 2012

Best answer: Look up! Little Fluffy Clowds
posted by panaceanot at 9:43 PM on August 14, 2012

Best answer: Craig Northey's song "Not a Lot Going On" was used as the theme song for the TV show Corner Gas, set in Saskatchewan. It's an affectionate tribute to prairie life: "You can watch your dog run away/And out here it can take three days/I've heard every joke/I've heard every joke you say." The joke, of course, is that out on the prairies you can watch your dog run away for three days because it's so flat.

And for good old-fashioned silliness: "The Last Saskatchewan Pirate" by The Arrogant Worms: "And it's a heave ho hi ho, coming down the plains/ Stealing wheat and barley and all the other grains/ And it's a ho hey hi hey, farmers bar your doors/ When you see the Jolly Roger on Regina's mighty shores."
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 10:12 PM on August 14, 2012 [1 favorite]

I forgot one of my favourites: "Trouble in The Fields." It's originally by Nanci Griffith but I like Sarah Harmer's version best. It's lovely, sweet and sad. She and Jason Euringer recorded it outside on the porch and you can hear the crickets as they sing.
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 10:24 PM on August 14, 2012

Not so much the grasses themselves, but Josh Garrett-Davis draws on the people of the Great Plains for his folk/punk ballads (and for his book), e.g.:

O Pioneers (vimeo)
Fountain Pop Suicides (myspace)
White Rappers (myspace)

On his book's site, he references a list of songs that might also be topical.
posted by mahorn at 10:58 PM on August 14, 2012

The Residents, with their version of "Bury me Not on the Lone Prairie"
posted by five toed sloth at 11:24 PM on August 14, 2012

Elegy For Elsabet by The Weakerthans. I'm certain they have more, but I'm away from my computer and can't check right now.
posted by bibliogrrl at 8:22 AM on August 15, 2012

Response by poster: Lots of great suggestions, thanks to everyone
posted by scrambles at 10:43 AM on August 15, 2012

Prairie Town, The Wailin' Jennys

Prairie Fire That Wanders About, Sufjan Stevens
posted by ilana at 12:58 PM on August 15, 2012

Stan Rogers, "Field Behind the Plow". Best ever
posted by kate4914 at 4:03 PM on August 15, 2012

« Older I need a time machine   |   What's the best way to close a deal with a client? Newer »