Mounting an FTP server as a disk in OSX 10.8

What's the best way to mount an FTP server as a drive in OSX 10.8?

Doing it through the Finder only lets me read files on the server, not write them.

The popular solution in the past was MacFuse but I've had bad experiences with it. Further, their instructions for the supposedly Mountain Lion-compatible version do not inspire confidence ("...it may or may not load the preference panel - but if it completes - it has installed. Finder and dock may suddenly restart at this time - don't be alarmed. It should work this time - if not - try rebooting to see if that loads MacFuse." !!!)

Does anyone have a stable solution for this?
posted by The Lamplighter to Computers & Internet (16 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Best answer: Get Transmit by Panic. It’s a steal at $34.
posted by tepidmonkey at 1:36 PM on July 27, 2012

+1 on Transmit—mounting a server as a drive works great, and operates exactly as you'd hope it would.
posted by deansfurniture5 at 1:37 PM on July 27, 2012

Nthing Transmit.
posted by infinitewindow at 1:42 PM on July 27, 2012

Response by poster: Have any of you used Transmit to do this in Mountain Lion? I think it uses MacFuse behind the scenes.
posted by The Lamplighter at 1:52 PM on July 27, 2012

Unfortunately Transmit's disk feature is a no-go under Mountain Lion, probably for that reason.
posted by Kronios at 2:16 PM on July 27, 2012

Best answer: Have any of you used Transmit to do this in Mountain Lion?

I don't have an FTP server to connect to, but SFTP (SSH) worked fine just now with v4.1.9 (App Store version) and OS X 10.8. I've got my office workstation mounted as a drive in Finder. I can browse folders and copy, paste and move files back and forth between remote and local sources. Feel free to MeMail me any questions about it.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 2:26 PM on July 27, 2012

Best answer: Just did it right now on my newly-updated Macbook Pro & Transmit 4.1.9 Mac App Store version. Worked fine - opened an SFTP link, opened a text file in TextEdit and saved a change. Even got a message indicating the volume wouldn't support versions and an option to not save.

I don't know that I have any non-secure FTP connections to test it on but I would be shocked if one worked and the other didn't.
posted by phearlez at 2:33 PM on July 27, 2012

Oh and I see that I wasn't clear - yes, this was disk mode.
posted by phearlez at 2:34 PM on July 27, 2012

Response by poster: Yeah, it would seem like if SFTP works, FTP would also work. Some of the servers I deal with don't allow SSH, unfortunately. I'll install the Transmit trial version and hope that Panic has managed to tame MacFuse.
posted by The Lamplighter at 2:35 PM on July 27, 2012

Oh, and just to really make an ass of myself with 3 in a row here - I just looked at the Transmit release notes. They say for v.4.1.1, back on 9/14/10 - "No longer uses MacFUSE - you can uninstall MacFUSE via System Preferences if you want"
posted by phearlez at 2:36 PM on July 27, 2012

Response by poster: Hooray! I'll try it now and report back.
posted by The Lamplighter at 2:37 PM on July 27, 2012

I use ExpanDrive.
posted by cjorgensen at 2:41 PM on July 27, 2012

Response by poster: Transmit seems to work, thanks!
posted by The Lamplighter at 2:47 PM on July 27, 2012

Note: SFTP is not FTP run over SSH, but rather a new protocol designed from the ground up by the IETF SECSH working group. Seems not to matter re: Transmit, but working with SFTP ≠ working with FTP.
posted by zengargoyle at 3:21 PM on July 27, 2012

Response by poster: Yes, but I would think that the "mounting as a drive" feature would work the same for both, even if the actual protocols are different. In any case, I confirmed that it works with FTP and SFTP.
posted by The Lamplighter at 4:04 PM on July 27, 2012

Another vote for ExpanDrive.
posted by Hutch at 4:17 PM on July 28, 2012

« Older Mortgage broker On the Level?   |   Bedding Down in Barcelona Newer »