Looking for "Castle" computer game

Many years ago (late eighties/early nineties), I used to play a delightful DOS-based RPG on my father's Olivetti computer. It was simply called "Castle" and involved a quest through an ASCII-rendered castle -- fighting demons and ogres, acquiring inventory, and so forth. The Olivetti went to its final rest around 1996, but this computer game was, for me, just as entertaining as anything on the market today. Is anyone out there familiar with this game? Could anyone suggest where I could find a copy? Unsurprisingly, Googling "castle" doesn't seem to get me very far, and I'm not sure where else to begin.
posted by alsorises to Computers & Internet (9 answers total)

Best answer: Are you looking for Castle Adventure?
posted by slipperywhenwet at 9:50 PM on July 31, 2005

Response by poster: I certainly am! Thank you! I feel a little bad that it was this easy to find -- maybe I should have looked harder -- but thank you; you've made me a very happy girl, and one who will no doubt be occupied for the next week or so.
posted by alsorises at 9:59 PM on July 31, 2005

Castle adventure is a notable game in the larger family of "roguelike games". Some great games are listed in that archive, many of which were either inspirations for, or derivatives of, castle adventure.
posted by cadastral at 9:59 PM on July 31, 2005

Don't feel sheepish alsorises - I also pined for that game for years. I was pretty damn happy when I finally found it on a fluke sometime last year..
posted by slipperywhenwet at 10:03 PM on July 31, 2005

I was going to suggest the Windows 3.1 classic Castle of the Winds-- another excellent dungeon spelunking, inventory acquiring AD&D clone / Diablo precursor.
posted by themadjuggler at 10:05 PM on July 31, 2005

For anyone curious to try the game (it's freeware), it is available at The Underdogs as part of their ASCII Classics collection.
posted by aiko at 10:35 PM on July 31, 2005

i remember that damn game, it seemed i would get close to escaping and find a bug that would crash it!
posted by yeahyeahyeahwhoo at 6:13 AM on August 1, 2005

Oh, damn, this is great. Thanks for the link!
posted by waldo at 8:00 AM on August 1, 2005

I came in here to suggest Castle of the Winds too. I loved it. Almost makes me miss using a PC...
posted by danb at 8:23 AM on August 1, 2005

« Older Seeking PC power supply recommendation   |   I need a particular keyboard. Newer »