Can you identify this table?
July 5, 2012 8:57 AM   Subscribe

Which kind of table (desk?) is Jon Hamm standing in front of in this photo?

Because "vintage table" is too broad a search term, apparently, and I'm not sure how to narrow the search.
posted by sharkfu to Home & Garden (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
That drawer-looking thing is, I'm sure, a cutting board if that helps your search.
posted by ThatCanadianGirl at 9:02 AM on July 5, 2012

It looks like it's got a formica top -- that might help.
posted by pantarei70 at 9:03 AM on July 5, 2012

Formica (or, if you're in Canada, arborite), may turn up results.
posted by urbanlenny at 9:03 AM on July 5, 2012

I've had a table like that and the drawer-like thing was a drawer for silverware. It was always a hassle to use and when the leaf was extended it was totally inaccessible.
posted by bdc34 at 9:07 AM on July 5, 2012 [2 favorites]

Try these search words: formica chrome dinette
posted by Houstonian at 9:08 AM on July 5, 2012

Looks to me like a tabel from a vintage formica dinette set.
posted by Adridne at 9:09 AM on July 5, 2012 [1 favorite]

This one is fairly close, and it has the drawer.
posted by Houstonian at 9:16 AM on July 5, 2012

Here's another one. Scroll way down or search for "chrome dining table"

I put in a bunch of search terms to find this: 1950's chrome table with drawer and slide-out-leaf.
There were other results that matched the photo, but they were all completed auctions and the sites were taken down.

These tables were everywhere in the 50's. They were kitchen tables which had a drawer for silverware, and many of them had a leaf that pulled out from underneath the edge of the table on each side so you could make it bigger. bdc34 is right - if you pulled out the leaf on the same edge as the drawer, then you couldn't get into the drawer. I think you can see in the Jon Hamm photo on the left edge that the side is not smooth about a third of the way back. That is the end of the leaf.

I had one in my bedroom in the 70's which we used as a desk. We fastened mod-flowered blue and green curtains around the edge to make a cubby underneath it. I think that table is still sitting on the patio at my dad's house and is covered in rust.
posted by CathyG at 9:30 AM on July 5, 2012

It might be a specific brand of vintage table, called Sellers. They usually have a drawer in the middle.
posted by bluespark25 at 4:49 PM on July 5, 2012

Response by poster: Thank you all for your help. Vintage/chrome/formica/dinette really helped to narrow the search down.
posted by sharkfu at 10:10 AM on July 11, 2012

« Older Hack a Depends? I'm out of ideas.   |   Where should we spend our volunteer time? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.