I need an online music download vendor
July 3, 2012 5:15 PM   Subscribe

A local, non-profit chorus would like to sell their music online. I think that offering a download for a fee would be a good way to make this happen but I can't seem to string together the proper search that would reveal businesses that would make this happen. Ideally, they would like to see a smidge of profit from this venture, however, the audience is small. This is the best I could come up with.
posted by Foam Pants to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
posted by Paragon at 5:26 PM on July 3, 2012 [3 favorites]

CD Baby, reverbnation, and Tunecore are the ones my husband's musical colleagues most often use.

Have they secured recording rights for the music and arrangements they use? Because purchasing or renting choral music generally encompasses the performance fees but almost never the recording fees, and BMI and ASCAP will come after them to collect.
posted by Sidhedevil at 5:27 PM on July 3, 2012 [2 favorites]

Bandcamp is my suggestion too.

However, like Sidhedevil said, unless all of the music is in the public domain or you already have agreements with the composers/arrangers, you need to check with the publishers of the music you want to sell to see what you need to do in terms of recording rights and fees.
posted by Lutoslawski at 5:30 PM on July 3, 2012

As I understand it, you can sell copies of music of other peoples songs, but you will need to register with the Harry Fox Agency, and there is a fee (something like 1.7 cents per minute), which is paid to the agency and then routed to the rights owners to the songs. This is how people do covers all the time, and I don't see why it would be different for choral music. The Harry Fox Agency has more info about what needs to be done.

As for actually selling the music, Bandcamp is great if you want to do it yourself and don't need it on itunes or amazon (It is also free to setup, and they only charge you a percentage when your music actually sells). If you want it distributed to all the big music sites, than CD Baby and Tunecore are good options, but there is a fee involved.
posted by markblasco at 6:01 PM on July 3, 2012

I'm on the board of a non-profit chorus. We used CD Baby. To get the li
cense to sell the recordings, we went through the Harry Fox Agency. They handle that licensing for most composers and music publishers.
posted by Area Man at 6:03 PM on July 3, 2012

If you want something dead simple without drm look at Gumroad
posted by bitdamaged at 8:10 PM on July 3, 2012

Very nice. I'll present them with the various options and I will make sure to pass on the information about recording rights.
posted by Foam Pants at 9:35 PM on July 3, 2012

« Older Video streaming from a small club   |   Help me find my techno earworm! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.