Multimedia school?
June 25, 2012 12:37 PM   Subscribe

Are there any universities/colleges/institutes that have an all-in-one program for video, photography, print and web design? My online searches have come up fruitless as most programs seem to be separated out. Location doesn't matter, nor does degree/diploma/certificate received. At the end of it I want to be able to shoot, light, edit, etc video and photos and understand and apply colour theory, typography, page layout, etc for print and web designs.
posted by n-clue to Education (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
The catch all degree for this would be a BA or BFA in Digital/Media Arts. You could try Chapman University, Ringling, Art Center, and RISD.
posted by Hello Darling at 12:40 PM on June 25, 2012

In fact, feel free to MeMail me for more specific details about Ringling and Chapman. Happy to help.
posted by Hello Darling at 12:43 PM on June 25, 2012

JMU has a BA in Media Arts and Design with a "Media Convergence" concentration that sounds like it's pretty close to what you're looking for.
posted by ashirys at 1:03 PM on June 25, 2012

I'm not sure where you are located but U of Wisconsin - Stout has a great Multimedia Design program.
posted by Syllables at 1:19 PM on June 25, 2012

Portfolio Center.
posted by functionequalsform at 1:48 PM on June 25, 2012

Look into Purchase College in NY.
posted by bleep at 5:06 PM on June 25, 2012

You could cover all of those topics (to varying extent) in Electronic Media, Arts, and Communication at RPI in Troy, NY (BS EMAC 2001 speaking here).
posted by letourneau at 5:33 PM on June 25, 2012

Arizona State has degrees in Graphic Information Technology.
posted by at at 5:45 PM on June 25, 2012

posted by St. Alia of the Bunnies at 6:19 PM on June 25, 2012

RISD student here -- we only have this sort of general "Digital Media" thing in the MFA program... I forget the exact name. No BFAs that are this broad in scope there.
That being said, I'm an illustration student who has taken classes in (and learned in a sort of secondary way via illustration classes) graphic design, typography, & web design. We also have photo classes for illustrators. I'm not suggesting you go be an illustration student, but you might look into being a photography or graphic design major and taking courses on the other side of things. Your portfolio matters a hell of a lot more than what your degree says you studied.

I have a friend at RPI who just graduated from EMAC, I think. Some sort of non-specific digital media stuff -- largely the place art, music, and tech intersect, in her case.
posted by jorlyfish at 8:54 PM on June 25, 2012

« Older How can I get over my miscarriage?   |   My robe is more wrinkled than I am Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.