How do I decay VHS tapes to get interesting audio effects?

Are there any resources I can use to learn about deliberately degrading tapes?

I have zero knowledge of this stuff, but I find the noise in this video very compelling. Is it a random process over time that would produce an audio effect like that, or are there methods one can use? I've basically spent the last hour watching YouTube clips of this stuff and am curious to try it myself.
posted by Pope Xanax IV to Grab Bag (4 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Check out William Basinski's The Disintegration Loops for an interesting story with equally interesting results.
posted by Sticherbeast at 3:11 PM on May 20, 2012

You might find some interesting answers in this question that was posted yesterday: How can I take advantage of the medium of VHS?.
posted by bcwinters at 3:31 PM on May 20, 2012

You might like the IBNIZ programming language. Sample video. I haven't played with it, just seen the video, but your linked video reminded me of it.
posted by benito.strauss at 4:28 PM on May 20, 2012

Response by poster: Thanks for the answers, everyone. Fun stuff. That Basinski is incredibly hypnotic.
posted by Pope Xanax IV at 3:59 PM on June 13, 2012

« Older Places to find "this will knock your socks off"...   |   How unhygenic is constant handwashing of laundry? Newer »