whoa what huh whuh
May 17, 2012 11:03 PM   Subscribe

What are the origins of this creepy psychedelic image?

I seem to recall seeing a video with more extensive use of this effect, but can't for the life of me recall what the video is called. I find it hard to even think of which words would form a good query.
posted by tehloki to Media & Arts (9 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: Here's the video you remember.
posted by (alice) at 11:11 PM on May 17, 2012 [2 favorites]

It's a slit-scan effect; After Effects has it.
posted by kindall at 11:11 PM on May 17, 2012

Best answer: Rolling shutter effect
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 11:13 PM on May 17, 2012 [2 favorites]

It's related to the rolling shutter effect, but artificial and exaggerated. A single frame with a rolling shutter will have different sections captured at different times, but all of those times will be within the duration of the frame. So the top might be 1/60 of a second ahead of the bottom, but not more than that. So it only ends up being noticeable for things that are moving fast.

The basic gist here is the same, where different parts of the frame show different times, but here regular video was recorded, and then manipulated such that a single resulting frame covers several seconds of real life - the time it takes her to walk across the stage.

I actually coded up a version of this effect in the 90's, to show at raves, using the classic dancing baby video as my source. More recently, a similar project has been presented at SIGgraph: The Khronos Projector.

It's an effect I'm quite fond of, because it's so simple, but it makes stuff look so weird. But I think it would be a good candidate for high-framerate video - that would help reduce the warbly banding artifacts you see.
posted by aubilenon at 2:13 AM on May 18, 2012 [1 favorite]

Yeah, the question has been answered. The technical term is "Time Displacement", here's a tutorial showing how to do it, I think the software he's using is final cut pro.

Anyway, like aubilenon said, the basic idea is that each scanline has a different delay, each one further into the past.
posted by delmoi at 3:11 AM on May 18, 2012

Best answer: In fact rather then rolling stutter, where each scanline is taken at a different point in time during the same frame, with this they're probably using scanlines from different frames.

So if you think of it in terms of frames, if you're going "top first", then the first scanline of frame N would be from frame N, in the source, the second scanline would be from frame N-1, the second scanline would be from frame N-2, and so on.

Then you could adjust it by using N, N-1*x, N-2*x, N-3*x and so on to make the effect stronger or weaker.
posted by delmoi at 3:15 AM on May 18, 2012 [1 favorite]

You can also try and find "The Fourth Dimension", a short experimental film by Zbigniew Rybczynski, which uses this effect extensively. I couldn't find it online, but I remember watching it on DVD from Netflix.
posted by ringu0 at 5:06 AM on May 18, 2012

I think the software he's using is final cut pro.

That's actually After Effects.
posted by Joey Bagels at 7:51 AM on May 18, 2012

Best answer: Related. Steina Vasulka.
posted by erebora at 8:46 AM on May 18, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older Tell me your unlikely-yet-successful wireless plan...   |   Large file upload service? In real life? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.