An auto-deadlock with an internal release button?
April 28, 2012 11:12 AM   Subscribe

For a household that includes an autistic person, we are looking for an automatic deadbolt lock that will lock the front door both inside and outside, and with a manual button release on the inside of the door that will release the lock?

I remember similar deadbolt locks on doors of houses I have lived in, and of office buildings, churches, and so on. I've searched extensively but am having no luck.
posted by ragtimepiano to Home & Garden (7 answers total)
For our house (also a home with an autistic child with a tendency towards elopement) we have just installed standard double cylinder deadbolts and keep a key close to the door. I'd be curious about the kind of lock you describe.

And Chocolate Pickle: yes, that is a danger and it has happened once or twice. I am sure it would also make the local fire marshal cry. But if my son runs out the front door, even if I notice within 60 seconds, then he is GONE. On two occasions (both several years ago before I replaced the stock deadbolts) I have spent a panicked hour searching for him while talking to 911 to get help. He is completely unable to seek out help for himself. Being locked out of the house occasionally is a very small price to pay for never having to go through that again.
posted by Lokheed at 12:18 PM on April 28, 2012

Maybe this is what you're looking for?
posted by Sidhedevil at 12:50 PM on April 28, 2012

I know caregivers for people with Alzheimer's who swear by this but I don't know if that would be something that would confound the person you're caring for sufficiently.
posted by Sidhedevil at 12:58 PM on April 28, 2012 [2 favorites]

Also, I think you'll have to get a locksmith in on this (preferably one who works with institutional clients) because I'm not sure the locks you're talking about are generally available for retail purchase.
posted by Sidhedevil at 1:02 PM on April 28, 2012

Does it look something like this? I think they are called deadlatches but you can also find them by searching for night latches or rim locks.
posted by stefanie at 1:43 PM on April 28, 2012

Thanks, everyone, we checked out the links. I ordered this one; but unfortunately I'm unable to tell if we can unlock it from outside with a key when the deadbolt is engaged. That's not clear in the description, but as the lock was inexpensive, I bought it anyhow. Lokheed, if you want, I'll let you know if it works out.
posted by ragtimepiano at 2:27 PM on April 28, 2012

Yes, I agree... I think what you're looking for is called a night latch. Here is a description of one: "A spring lock that can be opened from the inside by turning a knob but from the outside only with a key."
posted by madscientist01 at 4:52 PM on April 29, 2012

« Older But wait, there's more!   |   I want a TOUGH guitar! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.