I need the perfect A.A. Mile quote to read at my grandmother's funeral

I need the perfect A.A. Mile quote to read at my grandmother's funeral.

I will be speaking on behalf of the grandchildren at my grandmother's funeral and would like to include an A.A. Mile quote (preferably from Now We Are Six or one of the Pooh books) since one of my strongest childhood memories was reading these books with her. I have only a few days to put this all together and don't have time to re-read all the books. Can anyone suggest some good ones?

I am the oldest local grandchild and, due to my parents divorce when I was young, spent much more time with her than any of the other grandchildren. We were very close and she was a transformative influence on my life. My younger cousins only remember her as this frail old lady who didn't do very much, and I want to convey to them how funny and literate and loving she was, how special her bond with her grandchildren was to her, how proud she would be of how we all turned out etc. I want to finish with an anecdote about her and me reading these books together and then have a quote that expresses these various feelings somehow and gives my speech a kicker that people will remember.
posted by JoannaC to Writing & Language (13 answers total) 15 users marked this as a favorite

“Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.”
posted by erst at 5:43 PM on April 17, 2012 [10 favorites]

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

A couple of other good ones on this page as well.

posted by alygator at 5:46 PM on April 17, 2012 [8 favorites]

You have my condolences. I was in a similar position in 2009 when my grandmother died and it still hurts. These two are my favorites:

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."
- Winnie the Pooh

"If ever there is a tomorrow when we’re not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart... I’ll always be with you."
- Winnie the Pooh
posted by Unicorn on the cob at 5:46 PM on April 17, 2012 [9 favorites]

botched link, sorry http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1225592-winnie-the-pooh
posted by alygator at 5:46 PM on April 17, 2012

Were I in your position, I would read from the last chapter of The House at Pooh Corner, and cry, a lot.

Sorry for your loss.
posted by PhoBWanKenobi at 6:06 PM on April 17, 2012 [2 favorites]

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh!" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."
posted by Mrs. Pterodactyl at 6:39 PM on April 17, 2012 [3 favorites]

Also even if I'm fine on the second to last page I reach the end and start to sob because of the last line (apparently this can happen even if I just read it). I don't know if you'd want to modify this but:

So they went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest a little boy and his Bear will always be playing.

Best wishes to you and I'm glad you had the chance to be so close to your grandmother.
posted by Mrs. Pterodactyl at 6:43 PM on April 17, 2012 [1 favorite]

So sorry to hear that you have to do this for someone you loved. That's never easy.

One thing though: If you're going to be reading a quote as part of the service, you should make sure you've got the attribution and pronunciation correct: the author's last name is M-I-L-N-E and rhymes with 'kiln'.
posted by yellowcandy at 7:14 PM on April 17, 2012 [1 favorite]

Nthing Mrs. Pterodactyl's first post; Armistead Maupin used it as a title for one of his Tales of the City books.
posted by brujita at 10:40 PM on April 17, 2012

I don't have much to add beyond what others have already suggested, but I wanted to thank you for reminding me of many happy times I spent with my own grandmother reading Winnie the Pooh. She only completed the eighth grade and isn't a confident reader at all, but she would sit with my cousin and me in her lap and read those books over and over and over again, as many times as we demanded.

Thank you for reminding me of a happy time. I am so sorry for your loss.
posted by easy, lucky, free at 11:04 PM on April 17, 2012

Wow, you should just read your OP, itwas so god! Then add two or three of these, and head for your chair, job done. Bless you both for having such a bond with your grandma, and for knowing it.
posted by wenestvedt at 9:46 AM on April 18, 2012

These are lovely Pooh quotes, but they're not from 'Now We Are Six', which I love so much.

From "The Charcoal Burner"

He sits and he thinks of the things they know
He and the forest, alone together
The Springs that come and the Summers that go
Autumn dew on bracken and heather
The drip of the forest beneath the snow
All the things they have seen
All the things they have heard
An April sky, swept clean, and the song of a bird
posted by Ausamor at 10:02 AM on April 18, 2012 [1 favorite]

James James Morrison Morrison Weatherby George Dupree. Do you remember that one?

That was my favorite.
posted by stubby phillips at 11:48 AM on April 18, 2012

« Older 3D graphics in a 2D context (for dummies)   |   Dress a file clerk for summer! Newer »