I want to buy this table.
April 9, 2012 10:43 AM   Subscribe

I am trying to find a kitchen island/table similar to the ones pictured here and here.

Yes, the kitchen table from Big Bang Theory. I've fallen in love with it. I like the open metal shelves, with the large, high set wooden tabletop. I've searched high and low for something similar but I am drawing a blank. So I turn to you, mefites. Can you help me find a similar piece?
posted by msali to Home & Garden (6 answers total)
Look for restaurant supply stores in your area. They will likely have similar pieces.

Wood cutting surfaces are illegal in restaurants in a lot of jurisdictions, so you might have trouble finding a table with the wood surface built in, but at least one place I inquired at with a question similar to this, a few years ago, offered to cut a wood surface to measure and mount it on an otherwise stainless-steel work table. I ended up just going with plain stainless, which still looks really good and is easier to clean.
posted by cmyr at 10:51 AM on April 9, 2012

posted by Admiral Haddock at 10:55 AM on April 9, 2012 [1 favorite]

I have one much like this (maybe not quite as long), from Ikea. It has a steel underframe with two shelves, and we selected a wood countertop for it (which cost a bit more than the base price).

The frame was part of the "Utby" series. I have no idea if they still make it (we bought it a little over a year ago). But it's a great piece, serves us well.
posted by marlys at 11:17 AM on April 9, 2012

John Boos is expensive but has a number of tables similar to that one. They make cutting boards and butcher blocks that are top quality. If you plan to use the table for food rep make sure the top is finished with food safe materials.
posted by TedW at 1:30 PM on April 9, 2012

It looks like something that belongs in a science lab not restaurant supply. They probably stole it from their school (never saw the show but I know they are nerds). All I know about is Carolina Biological Supply for that kind of stuff. Maybe search "university lab table suppliers". Or similar.
posted by cda at 1:37 PM on April 9, 2012

This or this are industrial, are are these from Ikea. This comes in a desk or table. There's a lot more industrial-influenced design right now, so there may be other examples.
posted by theora55 at 5:24 PM on April 9, 2012

« Older How to stay friends when there's a one-way crush?   |   Remedial Macking Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.