BMI first or local business first?
April 4, 2012 7:00 PM   Subscribe

I want to join BMI as a MUSIC PUBLISHING COMPANY, which is based in my county and state (as businesses should be) and is a partnership owned by myself and my wife. What is the right order in which to register my companies: BMI first, then state, or state first then BMI?

I assure you, the name of the company is a unique original and is not taken. soundguy99, I know you can help me out here. Please do.
posted by shipbreaker to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: State first, you'll need your tax ID number before you can register with BMI. Details and paperwork are in this PDF.
posted by a box and a stick and a string and a bear at 7:05 PM on April 4, 2012 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: That's it!
posted by shipbreaker at 7:14 PM on April 4, 2012

shipbreaker, MeMail headed your way.

Just for anyone who might find this question in the future, I recommend the book This Business of Music for lots of clear and well-written info on many aspects of the music industry, including copyright, publishing, and royalties.
posted by soundguy99 at 7:17 AM on April 5, 2012

« Older Where in LA do I take someone who hates LA?   |   I feel like a schmuck! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.