DC Parking?
April 2, 2012 7:33 PM   Subscribe

DCfilter: I may be moving in to the District really quickly with super short notice. Like, in a few days quickly. How do I get all my parking/car registration info sorted out so I have somewhere to park?

How long does it take to get a DC parking permit? How much does it cost? The DC DMV site confuses the living hell out of me - do I have to get a DC license and license plate to get the $35/year residential parking permit? (Just making sure what I read is correct)

How long does the entire process start to finish take? Are we talking a few hours? Or a few days/weeks?

I imagine this process is sort of a bitch - any tips to make it easier/more swift?

I don't even officially know if I'm going to move yet, but want to be prepared.
posted by windbox to Grab Bag (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
The process at the DMV isn't too terrible and only takes a few hours, but to buy yourself some time, you can get a two week temporary permit from the police station in your neighborhood. You'll need some kind of proof of residence -- utility bills or a copy of your lease should do it.
posted by fancypants at 7:51 PM on April 2, 2012 [2 favorites]

I've never worked with this company but this may be helpful: http://thebarac.com/vaclistweb.htm
posted by kat518 at 7:55 PM on April 2, 2012

If you need a quick stall a friend who lives in your zone can go to the police station and get you a temporary visitors pass. Otherwise it's off to the DMV for you to get your car inspected and then wait in many a line. It's all spelled out on the DMV website. Give yourself 3 or 4 hours and try not to go at peak times.

Sitting in line to get your car inspected is a right of passage in DC. I believe you can technically do it all the same day, but you have to be real careful you have everything in order and you'll need to prove your residency and need insurance as well as plenty of other stuff.

And yes you do need to get a dc license and plates to get a permit. There is some exception but it costs just as much if not more to get that kind of permit and only lasts a year I think.
posted by whoaali at 8:45 PM on April 2, 2012

Oh, ugh, this is bringing back bad memories. You'll need to get your car inspected, then go to the DMV, get your new license, and get your car registered. You'll have to pay taxes on the car, which ended up being a couple hundred dollars for me even though the car is super old and hardly worth anything. Make sure the check engine light isn't on before you get the car inspected. And give yourself at least a full day to take care of all the nonsense.

If wherever you're going to live has garage parking available, it may be worth it to pay for it for a month or so to give yourself some breathing room.
posted by charmcityblues at 8:58 PM on April 2, 2012

Response by poster: I should mention a twist: I will not be on the lease - this is an extremely informal sublet.
posted by windbox at 4:41 AM on April 3, 2012

You'll likely need to at least have some sublease agreement in writing and submit other documentation as well. (It took my husband three visits when first moving to DC to get a license as it was a sublease. He needed a copy of the lease, a signed form from his landlord, and a copy of the landlord's drivers license.)
posted by statsgirl at 4:58 AM on April 3, 2012

If it's an informal sublet, just have whoever your subletting from go to the police department and get you a temporary sticker. You can do it 24/7. Heck, I might even be able to do it for you if you're in my ward.
posted by fancypants at 7:11 AM on April 3, 2012

« Older Needed: politically biased "data" on energy use   |   Seeking job dilemma advice Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.