Mental health support in Tokyo
March 21, 2012 12:55 PM   Subscribe

Help me help a friend suffering severe depression in Tokyo.

My friend is fluent in Japanese as well as English. I want to be able to provide some contact information to places that offer urgent mental health services. If it helps, my friend is in the country on a student visa, but I don't know if their university is an option at all, for many reasons. Even a phone line to call would be better than nothing.

I'm ever so grateful for any help on this.
posted by harujion to Health & Fitness (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Best answer: this place might be a useful place to start depending on how urgent it is:
posted by runincircles at 12:58 PM on March 21, 2012 [1 favorite]

I don't know your friend's situation but it sounds like friend is pretty alone over there. Do try to keep in touch with your friend, even if it's just a daily email. I've traveled on business, and I find that being alone in a big, populated city is alienating and depressing.
posted by thermonuclear.jive.turkey at 6:21 PM on March 21, 2012 [2 favorites]

Best answer: Tell them to call TELL (Tokyo English Lifeline) 03-5774-0992 and visit the website:

Free anonymous telephone counseling (for immediate help) as well as a couseling center for face to face help.

I know several people who have used or been involved with this service so I can recommend it unreservedly.
posted by ameca at 6:28 PM on March 21, 2012 [2 favorites]

« Older Flash help for the Dummy   |   Practical or Creative? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.