SEO in the middle?

SEO services - not too big, not too small.

For 3 years I have been running a website. I put a lot of work in it and I aim to provide the best possible content. I actually believe we do. (we, as there is now a few people helping me with it).

I think the blog (wordpress) has good on-site seo: titles, h1 tags, sitemaps and the whole thing.

We churn out content regularly and mostly before everyone else. We have naturally grown facebook fans, RSS subscribers.. I participate in forums and answer emails.

Even though we have a very decent amount of visitors, Google ranks as #1,2,3 for a series of very important keywords some obviously spammy websites, and some that have been put together in a couple of afternoons.

It's obvious they do some off-site SEO (link building I assume) that is helping them rank so high.

I would like to hire somebody to help me but:

a) small companies are usually just a dude that outsources terrible articles and spams the internet with software and so

b) I contacted a couple of larger companies and they ask me thousands and thousands of dollars.

Can you recommend something in the middle?

thanks!
posted by madeinitaly to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Have you considered finding a small seo company that will develop a backlinking plan that you could execute yourself.

There are sites like fiverr where you can have each task completed separately...for example have one person write a press release or article. you review. pass it on to another person to distribute.

good luck with your search!
posted by sylviaunlimited at 10:30 PM on March 19, 2012

I'm of the opinion that interested and capable people can and should execute their own SEO. You can learn everything you need at sites like seomoz.org.
posted by ImproviseOrDie at 1:14 AM on March 20, 2012

SEO (in theory) is not hard to learn, but it requires time - and I rather use my time in creating our content! I don't need a SEO genius, just to outsource my SEO activities
posted by madeinitaly at 6:36 AM on March 20, 2012

If it's work you can describe and hire, consider posting to jobs.mefi.
posted by theora55 at 9:09 AM on March 20, 2012

You may be targeting a wrong combination of keywords. SEO starts with research; on-site optimization and backlinking is secondary. Unfortunately the keyword research in my opinion is the most challenging part of SEO and it requires some experience and tools. I recommend you to find someone who can perform a good SEO audit of your web site and help you find your keyword niche.
posted by vageek at 5:38 AM on March 30, 2012

« Older Upstairs, Downstairs   |   Refinish or am I just finished? Newer »