How to dispose of an unwanted Hookah

Somehow I've inherited a very tall (around 5 feet), very heavy hookah that was brought over from the middle east (UAE). I don't want it but don't know what to do with it. It's been in an attic for the past 20+ years so it hasn't been used in a very long time. It could be worth a lot or a little, I just don't know. Are there any concerns I should have if I try to sell it? Paraphernalia laws that could get me in trouble? As far as I know it is meant for tobacco but could possibly be used for other stuff.
posted by popaopee to Society & Culture (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The legal repercussions are... nothing basically. (There's a clear exemption in federal law, which as you know governs interstate commerce: "any item that, in the normal lawful course of business, is imported, exported, transported, or sold through the mail or by any other means, and traditionally intended for use with tobacco products, including any pipe, paper, or accessory.")IANAL

But have you considered alternative uses? An old piece like that may be worth more as an art piece (I mean, IDFK what it looks like but), or as the foundation of some other functional device (Lamp stand, if you're crafty)
posted by MangyCarface at 9:22 AM on March 15, 2012

Post a picture. It could be next to worthless (giant new hookahs cost around $75 plus extras) or it could have resale value.
posted by Burhanistan at 9:23 AM on March 15, 2012

Really depends on what we've got here, so a picture would be quite helpful. If it's cheap, it's likely not worth much. But as it was imported from the Middle East some time ago, it's possible it was made with valuable materials, e.g., silver, ivory, etc.

I'd consider getting the thing appraised. Likely worthless, but possibly some value there.
posted by valkyryn at 10:01 AM on March 15, 2012

Might there be a meetup group that is specifically interested in hookah's? I have no idea, but you might check. And then ask folks there what their opinion is (bonus, you might find a buyer more quickly than just making a random post on CL).
posted by vignettist at 10:02 AM on March 15, 2012

Yes, please post a photo!
you shouldn't have any problems given its for tobacco use only.
I have a couple of shishas and they can be quite valuable depending on where its from, craftsmanship, quality, materials and what not.

If you are worried you can always clean it, but again it shouldn't be a problem.
posted by handbanana at 10:02 AM on March 15, 2012

The main reason I want to be rid of it is we are moving and I'm trying to lighten our load. I'm not crafty at all so making it into something artful is a great idea, but not for me.

I'll post a link to some pics tonight. Thanks all for your responses so far.
posted by popaopee at 3:24 PM on March 15, 2012

Here's a link to the photos.
posted by popaopee at 7:33 PM on March 15, 2012

I'm no appraiser, but that looks like a piece of junk to me.
posted by valkyryn at 6:05 PM on March 18, 2012

Haha, could be, like I said I know nothing about the value.
posted by popaopee at 7:19 PM on March 18, 2012

« Older Oh what a wonderful world...   |   Chest pain. Hospital trip. Now what? Newer »