Please help identify this key

Can you help identify this key?

I am trying to make copies of our house key and so far not having much luck. Ace Hardware just refused; Home Depot made some keys but they do not work [The middle thingee is too wide, I think].

I am hoping if I can identify this key properly, I can tell the key-maker person which blank to use to ensure great success. Cheapest option that works wins the no-prize.

front

back

Thank you very much!
posted by banshee to Home & Garden (7 answers total)

Yale Locks is very much in business; they may be able to help you locate someone who has the blanks.
posted by Sunburnt at 6:46 PM on February 28, 2012

Look at the key end-on and compare it's profile to the image Rodrigo Lamaitre linked. The other thing you need to determine is the number of pins in the lock. This image gives a proportional idea of how key length corresponds to number of pins.

Also, from the Yale Lock website, here's a list of authorized retailers in the US.
posted by carsonb at 6:52 PM on February 28, 2012

Forget hardware stores, they suck at duplicating anything other than auto and Kwikset keys. You'll have better luck with a reputable safe and lock outfit.
posted by jayder at 7:20 PM on February 28, 2012

Looks like the key to a screen door -- a mesh-work door that is outside the proper door.
posted by FrereKhan at 6:20 AM on February 29, 2012

Seconding Jayder on finding a locksmith to make duplicates. They've probably got a wall or a huge set of drawers with pretty much every key you can imagine. Plus, locksmiths generally back up their work -- I went to my locksmith to get a bunch of duplicates for the padlock on our garage, and when a couple didn't work I took them back and they reground them until the key worked, for free.
posted by AzraelBrown at 7:08 AM on February 29, 2012

Response by poster: Couldn't get a good pic of the tip, but based on the image Rodrigo posted, this is a Yale Y13 5 pin. Thanks all!
posted by banshee at 8:13 AM on February 29, 2012

By the way I would be cautious about posting pictures of keys on the internet; they could be used to make a key that would fit your lock. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get your address knowing your MeFi account, but better safe than sorry.

I've heard of a locksmith who reconstructed a key from an x-ray image of one that had been swallowed.
posted by tkolstee at 9:27 AM on March 2, 2012

« Older "Title is not found or not available"   |   Beware the ides of Peak Oil. Newer »