Where do I find very short, interesting stories: no strings attatched?

Where could I find very short (2-3 paragraph) interesting stories or anecdotes in the public domain that could be recorded for an informational video?

Some colleagues were using a 1-2 minute audio recording of an interesting urban legend as an example in a video they are producing. For content reasons, it was suggested that they find a new sample.

We have the recording equipment and the voice talent. The catch: they need it by the end of the day. For that reason, they are looking for something in the public domain so they don't have to take time to clear it.

There are lots of short stories available, but they are too long. We just need a couple of riveting paragraphs we can record today.
posted by mimo to Grab Bag (3 answers total)

I found this page by searching for "flash fiction creative commons". At the bottom is "140 Flash Fiction is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License". I don't know a whole lot about Creative Commons but this may be a place to start.
posted by sacrifix at 11:10 AM on February 27, 2012

Ah, here is an explanation of what the CC legal terms are for these stories.
posted by sacrifix at 11:12 AM on February 27, 2012

Make it up? Seriously, if you re-tell a story, especially in such an abbreviated 2-minute form as you describe, you don't owe the "originator" a dime. Know a great story about a chupacabra sighting? Change it to the abominable snowman, and you're golden.
posted by markhu at 3:29 PM on February 27, 2012

« Older Unusual wedding rings in NYC?   |   Best Use of Short, Funny Writing Samples Newer »