Small time event insurance
February 21, 2012 10:14 AM   Subscribe

What can you tell me about event insurance requirements for a small-scale one-off theatre production in Ontario?

I'm involved with planning a one-time performance in Toronto in a year and a half or so and am beginning to research insurance requirements. We're looking at small venues like church spaces or even pubs.

I am asking venues and insurance companies for advice and quotes, but would like some perspective from folks who have experience with this sort of thing (just because I'm sure what I will get from insurance companies is "yes, you must have maximum expensive insurance all the time").

Is insurance really needed for something like this? Would it be possible it would be covered by any insurance the venue would already have? If it is required, what could I reasonably expect to pay? Thanks for any perspectives.
posted by transient to Media & Arts (2 answers total)
The reason to do events in existing public venues is that they already have insurance for their patrons. Possibly some rider might be required for some especially complex staging, or if you're bringing in liquor to a space which doesn't ordinarily have it, but that would be something you could work out with the venue and their insurance policy--once you pick a venue.
posted by Scram at 11:11 AM on February 21, 2012

The coverage carried by a venue will only insure claims which are brought against them and not anyone using the space. It's important to carry your own insurance so you have a policy with your name on it. The nice thing about your own policy, is your insurance company will then defend and settle any claims brought against you or your company -- the defense will generally be provided even if you're not responsible for the actual cause. Most venues want to see themselves named on your policy just in case they are brought into a legal claim which is the result of your use of the space. You can also rely on your insurance if you cause damage to the theatre and you're considered legally liable to repair the damage. You never want to rely on a venue's insurance to protect you; I know of only a few exceptional circumstances where a venue actually provides insurance to the users of their space. If you'd like, my company is cultureONE ( We work with tons of venues, theatre & performing arts companies with our actONE program and we'd be more than happy to assist you. My email is Hope these comments help.
posted by SteveBeatty at 7:31 PM on February 27, 2012

« Older Throw me a bone here   |   Help me engage a jeweler! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.