After-market faucet condom?
February 16, 2012 2:05 PM   Subscribe

Our new and overly-swanky kitchen tap does not have an aerator. This creates a mess of tidal-wave proportions. Is there an after-market fix?

We recently replaced our first tap, in our kitchen. It looks more or less like this tap (although it is not that one.) The entire neck is one piece. After istallation, we discovered the tap does not have an aerator/screen piece, like most taps do. The result is that the water jets out and hits the bowl, any dishes or indeed, any dishwasher's hands with such force that is splashes pretty much everywhere.

This cannot be an unsolved problem, right? There must be some sort of after-market condom/nipple/rubber thing I can slip over the end of my faucet to create better flow, right? If such a device exists, I don't know the right search terms, but I am very much hoping it does because replacing this tap is going to be a major and expensive production.
posted by DarlingBri to Home & Garden (17 answers total)
Is the inside of the spout threaded? If so you can buy an aftermarket aerator.
posted by Wet Spot at 2:11 PM on February 16, 2012 [1 favorite]

Is the end of the faucet pipe threaded on the inside? I'm assuming it isn't, since that's the way aerators normally connect, and you're asking about non-normal solutions, but it's such an easy question I had to ask.
posted by aimedwander at 2:12 PM on February 16, 2012

Often there is standard threading on the inside of the end of the tap, into which a standard aerator can be screwed. Have you felt with the tip of your finger inside the end of the tap? If there are threads, it might be worth your while to look around at your hardware store of choice to see if there's a cheap aerator that looks like it would fit (something like the simpler ones on this page).
posted by aught at 2:14 PM on February 16, 2012

Best answer: If it's not threaded you can buy a slip-on aerator.
posted by Wet Spot at 2:16 PM on February 16, 2012

This adaptor for non-threaded spouts would require a somewhat industrial aesthetic.
posted by aimedwander at 2:19 PM on February 16, 2012

Response by poster: No, it does not have internal threading (and in fact has some weird interior nipple that makes the water even more jet-like. WTF?) "Slip-on aerator" was totally the term I was looking for, thank you!

Umm, if anyone happens to know of a grey one, that would be spectacular, but I will totally order the white, thanks!
posted by DarlingBri at 2:22 PM on February 16, 2012

Best answer: If there aren't internal threads, a plumber can thread it if you don't want to use a threadless spout adapter (which can be purchased in all chrome with saddle-style clamp attachments). The rubber slip ons work . . . for a while. They aren't very good at regulating pressure and so if someone turns your water on quickly or hard they can spray off in a spectacular fashion. And also, get sort of gross. So--go to a plumbing hardware center to see if they have attractive adaptors or, to make it truly invisible, call around to a plumber to thread it for you so you can use an internal aerator. I have been through this. IANAP.
posted by rumposinc at 2:27 PM on February 16, 2012

Looking at the install manual here. On page it says there should be an aerator on the faucet.
posted by tman99 at 2:42 PM on February 16, 2012

Are you sure it doesn't have an aerator?

An aerator can be put in at any point in the flow, and in the one your link shows, I'm wondering if that hole in the housing at the base of the spout isn't the port where the air comes in to make the water aerated if you turn the housing in the appropriate direction.
posted by jamjam at 2:42 PM on February 16, 2012

That should have been page 8.
posted by tman99 at 2:43 PM on February 16, 2012

tman99 & jamjam -- that's not actually her faucet. From the post: "It looks more or less like this tap (although it is not that one.) "
posted by brainmouse at 2:44 PM on February 16, 2012

Oops just saw that that is not your faucet. I still think there should be on there and it is missing.
posted by tman99 at 2:46 PM on February 16, 2012

I realized that, brainmouse, but I should have said so explicitly.
posted by jamjam at 2:46 PM on February 16, 2012

I'd second those who suspect that the tap should have an aerator already (it would be an odd modern tap that doesn't). I'd check the design specs for your tap on the firm's website.

But failing that you could just close the under-sink cock on the feeder-line to the tap part-way to regulate the water pressure. That, at least, preserves the look of the new tap.
posted by yoink at 2:56 PM on February 16, 2012 [2 favorites]

Seconding yoink: Just turn down the water pressure by partially closing the valves under the sink.
posted by exphysicist345 at 6:28 PM on February 16, 2012

Response by poster: I finally remembered what sink it is -- it's this Pegler "Rune Monobloc Sink Mixer". I have now emailed them to ask about the aerator, and if it in fact does not have one, I will ask a plumber to thread and fit one (or just turn down the valve...) Thanks a lot!
posted by DarlingBri at 7:23 PM on February 29, 2012

Response by poster: According to Pegler, it is a dual flow tap and does not have an aerator :(
posted by DarlingBri at 4:13 AM on March 1, 2012

« Older Thinking of going to LA late next week, NOT for...   |   Author, Author! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.