Shelf for propping up an open cookbook?
February 12, 2012 3:56 PM   Subscribe

Help me find a grooved wooden shelf to hold an open cookbook!

So I just had a flash of brilliance for my kitchen. I want to put a small shelf, somewhere around 18-24" wide by 5-6" deep on the wall behind my prep table, so I can then prop an open cookbook up against the wall and follow the recipe without taking up valuable prep table real estate. I = GENIUS!!!

So you'd think any shelf would do but ideally the shelf would be grooved along the outside edge to keep the cookbook from kicking out and falling on my enchiladas. Almost like a plate grooved shelf but with the groove on the outside edge instead of the inside edge.

Anyone know of such a thing? I can make it if I need to, but I'd rather buy it! It can be any kind of wood but I'd prefer it to be natural, not painted, and definitely not particle board.
posted by nathancaswell to Home & Garden (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Best answer: How 'bout just install a regular shelf and buy a stand like this to put on it? That way you could multi-purpose the shelf when you're not cooking.
posted by matty at 3:59 PM on February 12, 2012 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Something like this? Or, if you want to splurge, this? And I know you prefer wood, but here's a clear acrylic version.
posted by VelveteenBabbitt at 6:06 PM on February 12, 2012

My husband built me one of those out of some scrap wood. Just wanted to make a recommendation to buy/make one that has an additional groove near the front to put a piece of plexiglass in to protect the book from splashes. On preview - like the acrylic sheets in the one matty linked to.
posted by illenion at 7:24 PM on February 12, 2012

« Older Trying to make the most of our Italian vacation   |   Who is Scotty Bowers? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.