Strange Upper Back Tingling
February 10, 2012 3:24 PM   Subscribe

Strange Upper Back Tingling

For the past year or so, I've had a strange upper back tingling sensation that doesn't go away.

When it happens: When I'm washing the dishes, sitting at the kitchen table but NOT at my computer table where I do most of my work.

The feeling: It feels like a muscle in my LEFT upper back falls asleep. Kind of like when your foot falls asleep except this is constantly there and doesn't go away. There's no pain, no electric pins and needles, just a "muscle falling asleep" sensation. Even if I straighten my back/posture completely, it will still be there. I can make it go away by slouching backwards on the sofa.

Where: Its not near the spine, but to the left of it and below the shoulder. A quick google search of back diagrams leads me to think it may be the infraspinatus area.

More details: I'm a trained individual. I've been weight lifting for years (26 years old right now) and am a certified personal trainer. I make sure I uphold good form and stretch constantly. I don't slouch and I do not believe its a postural issue as I get comments on my good posture frequently.

Any insight is appreciated.
posted by telsa to Health & Fitness (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
IANAD and anything involving your back & nerves should be checked out, but...

It reminds me of something I recently found out I had (sans discolored skin). Once or twice a day, my left shoulder blade itches. There's no bite or discoloration. And an itch isn't the same as tingling, but it may be a start for your doctor. The condition is called Notalgia paraesthetica. My doctor assures me that it is of no consequence.
posted by Kronur at 4:15 PM on February 10, 2012

I'm a paramedic, not a physician...


Sounds like you may have some nerve compression somewhere. Have you checked this out with your physician? I'm sure you know what a stretched muscle feels like-maybe you should see an orthopedist?

Get this checked. There are a lot of worse case scenarios, but I won't mention any of them here...just go get checked.
posted by BeastMan78 at 6:07 PM on February 10, 2012

Yeah, doctor asap. That there's no inflammation and/or loss of ROM going on with the joint implies there's some issue with a nerve.
posted by Kandarp Von Bontee at 8:27 PM on February 10, 2012

A GP isn't going to be able to do anything for you. A doctor who specializes in sports medicine probably would point you in the right direction, and that may be to a neurologist. Although, neither of them may be able to do anything beyond telling you what's going on. A body worker who does something like trigger point therapy or Active Release Technique that actually treats nerve entrapment may be able to help. Personally that's where i would start, probably being the cheapest and quickest way to fixing things.
posted by P.o.B. at 9:23 AM on February 11, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older Issue of payment for professional services when...   |   I just got tenure at a small college. I'd like to... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.