Should I reinstate my interest after turning down a job interview?
February 9, 2012 5:19 PM   Subscribe

Turned down a job interview. Now I would like to interview. Email them or call it a day? Special snowflake details.

Back story: I used to live in City A. I took a leave from that city to do a part time thing in City B.

I was thinking about moving back to City A and applied for a job there, from City B.

I did a phone interview, and they asked me to fly out on a certain date for an interview. I wasn't completely sure that I wanted to move back to City A, I thought I might have a better opportunity there if I did decide to move back, and the plane tickets, hotel room, etc., was all going to be on my dime and would be pretty expensive, so I sent them a short email saying I appreciated the offer but upon consideration was rescinding my application.

Now, a month later, I've decided to move back to City A (partially for non-job related reasons). The other opportunity didn't pan out. The position is still listed as open on their website.

I'd like to email my contact there and see they'd still be willing to interview me, if the position is still open, when I return soon.

1) Should I do this? Or is this considered really bad form?
2) What should I say if I do do it?

Thanks guys.
posted by anonymous to Work & Money (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
yes, explain to them what you have told us here: that you had originally thought you wanted to stay in city B, but have since changed your mind and want to return to city A and, if the opportunity was still available, you would love to meet with them to discuss the position because you were very interested in the position.
posted by violetk at 5:26 PM on February 9, 2012 [1 favorite]

They may or may not still be interested, but you have nothing really to lose from emailing them to ask.
posted by aubilenon at 5:28 PM on February 9, 2012 [2 favorites]

I guess it's worth a shot. I'd say something like:

"In January I regretfully had to rescind my application to join your organization, as I believed I would not be returning to live in City A. Happily, my circumstances have changed, and I see that the opening is still available. If you're still interested, I would be happy to reactivate my application."

At my job, there's no way they'd do the interview at this point unless you were astonishingly awesome. But I've worked at places that wouldn't mind doing it, and for all I know you are astonishingly awesome, so.
posted by SMPA at 5:30 PM on February 9, 2012 [11 favorites]

Yeah, the moving issue will probably buy you some goodwill. Tell them that you'd made the difficult decision to decline the interview at the time because you lived elsewhere and wasn't sure if moving to a new city was a part of your family's plan. Now those circumstances have resolved, you're ready to move, and you'd love a second chance to interview for that open position.

You lose nothing by trying, at least. Good luck!
posted by elizeh at 7:25 PM on February 9, 2012 [2 favorites]

Fantastic game-play strategy!

Now you can say to them that, after much thought, you've realised that their job is so amazing you are prepared to move cities.

They should be so grateful that you're giving them the opportunity to hire you....
posted by BadMiker at 5:39 AM on February 10, 2012

It's not bad form at all, unless the job was closed. They may or may not take you up on it, but violetk and others have it - giving them a specific and sound reason for your initial turndown and re-stating your interest is the best way to possibly get back into consideration.
posted by sm1tten at 5:39 PM on February 10, 2012

« Older In which everyone finds out I watch abcfamily...   |   Trying to find a short story about love and loss... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.