Maintenance schedule for my hair trimmer pls?

How do you maintain your Oster 76, or any other high end hair clippers? How do you maintain the blades?

So I got the oster 76 based on a recommendation here a few months ago and it has occurred to me that I haven't really cleaned it since purchase. I do of course wipe off the hair but is there anything else I need to do? How do you clean your blades? I can never get the hair out completely from between the blades.

The 76 looks really solid to me (compared to the cheapie plastic-y ones I've had before). I think if I maintain it consistently it'll work for years.
posted by aeighty to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (4 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

I was just thinking about this today. I have a different Oster model, but the same concept applies. You need to use the lubricating oil frequently to prevent dry friction on the blades (which dulls them quicker). You can unscrew the two screws on the blade and clean out the hair inside there and apply oil between the two blades. I've never had mine professionally sharpened, but it works great with just oiling & cleaning (maybe 5 years of monthly use).
posted by mattbucher at 8:45 AM on January 31, 2012

With this, which gives the equivalent of a blast of compressed air as well as lubricating the blades. You still have to clean manually for stubborn clippings, but it's good to have on hand.
posted by holgate at 8:59 AM on January 31, 2012

There are You-tube videos on how to take it apart and lubricate the insides. This only needs to be done every few years, unless you are doing a few haircuts a day.
posted by Busmick at 9:56 AM on January 31, 2012

a lot of them are self sharpening now, if yours aren't then probably contact the manufacturer. You can pick up the blade oil for less than £5
posted by cufflinks for men at 12:01 PM on January 31, 2012

« Older Looking for free vintage film score music.   |   Suggestion for information designers to train? Newer »