Used Xbox 360 games...which can I buy used without also needing to buy a new reg code?

I'm thinking about buying a few used Xbox 360 games online. Does anyone know of a definitive resource that can tell me which games/publishers are likely to require me to buy an additional registration code in order to access full online functionality?

I'd prefer to know beforehand before I do my online shopping. I've heard EA are pretty keen on doing this and I guess I'd like to know if it's becoming more and more common. By the way, I'm not bothered about missing out on extra DLC if it didn't come with the game as shipped on the physical media; I'm only really concerned about being able to play online. Is there a website that keeps track of this kind of thing?
posted by uk_giffo to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (12 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

It's a game-by-game kind of thing; I just Google for "online pass + [gameName]" when doing this. If you post a list of games you're thinking of buying, we can probably help immediately; I do not know of any single site that track this.
posted by ellF at 12:31 PM on January 27, 2012

I know that more recent EA Sports titles come with online activation codes. They're printed on a separate sheet as the manual, and tucked in with the manual. That would be something to keep in mind when receiving used games, too - the seller may have taken the sheet out.
posted by Jeff Morris at 12:33 PM on January 27, 2012

pretty much anything in the last year from EA or Sony (first party) right off the bat.
posted by Oktober at 12:36 PM on January 27, 2012

Heh, whoops, glossed over "360".
posted by Oktober at 12:43 PM on January 27, 2012

Yoink
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 1:08 PM on January 27, 2012

Also this article. Many games even w/o multiplayer give extra features for having a pass ala Batman: Arkham City.
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 1:10 PM on January 27, 2012

This sort of thing may actually be something places like GameStop are okay at. You can take a look at the actual boxes, which almost always tell you what the deal is.
posted by valkyryn at 1:17 PM on January 27, 2012

> This sort of thing may actually be something places like GameStop are okay at. You can take a look at the actual boxes, which almost always tell you what the deal is.

This sort of this is often extremely vaguely worded, buried in fine print. "Some features require online feature purchase", for example, halfway through 2pt. font address boxes for all the production facilities.
posted by ellF at 1:20 PM on January 27, 2012 [1 favorite]

I don't believe there is such a list, unfortunately. It's almost never obvious until you put the disc in.

As a general rule, I think all EA published games with multiplayer use them now, and most Ubisoft games. Warner Bros and THQ have started using them in a few games (e.g. FEAR 3, Saints Row 3). I don't believe any Activision games use them. Googling the specific game and "online pass" beforehand is probably the easiest way, but note that they sometimes use "online pass" to mean a subscription to all of the DLC.

Online passes have been in use long enough for publishers to determine that they aren't making much money off them, so they might go away. But publishers absolutely loathe the used game market, so they might just keep using them out of stubbornness.
posted by Sibrax at 1:57 PM on January 27, 2012

Uh, you guys do realize I posted a list above, right?
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 2:08 PM on January 27, 2012 [1 favorite]

The rumor currently floating around is that the next Xbox, which we should start seeing previews of this year, will have some sort of system to prevent the sale of used games in its entirety. Given that digital-only still isn't practical is significant minority of the US still, the current thinking is that games will ship with printed keys that need to be activated online.
posted by Oktober at 3:02 PM on January 27, 2012

> Uh, you guys do realize I posted a list above, right?

Which is incomplete -- for example SR3 isn't there.
posted by ellF at 4:35 PM on January 27, 2012

« Older Primary care doctor and hospital/clinic...   |   Two wire systems diverged in a campus, what should... Newer »