Exploratory platformer shortage

Metroid, Castlevania, Cave Story... I want more games in this vein. Console or PC, pro or indie, just so long as it's good.
posted by squidlarkin to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (12 answers total)

I also know about Seiklus and Eternal Daughter, for the record. But that's pretty much all the worthwhile games I can think of that fit this tasty little subgenre.
posted by squidlarkin at 7:23 PM on June 27, 2005

Black Tiger for MAME is right up your alley.

P.S. Don't know how good that link is, I'm at work at the mo'
posted by furtive at 7:24 PM on June 27, 2005

I was always partial to Tomba (official website from like 1998, still up for some reason). The maps aren't as claustrophobic as Metroid or Castlevaina, but similar to Seiklus, almost the entire map is open from the beginning of the game.

(BTW, "Seiklus" was made by cly5m, who was responsible for several decent ZZT games that are worth checking out)
posted by jimmy at 7:59 PM on June 27, 2005

Flashback for the Sega Genesis was pretty good, if I recall. It was slightly less action- and a little more strategy-oriented, but it was still a great platformer with items and junk to collect.
posted by MonkeyMeat at 8:10 PM on June 27, 2005

Not really. It's got distinct stages, multiple lives, and you never gain any new abilities. Fun little game though.
posted by squidlarkin at 8:35 PM on June 27, 2005

I always like Ghosts & Goblins.
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 9:16 PM on June 27, 2005

How about a Legend of Kage remake called Legend of Shadow. It's addictive. You can also refer to AskMeFi question #19782 which lists some good games. Also, Tom's Hardware has listed an article titled, Ten Free Games Worth Downloading which is worth checking out.
posted by FakeOutdoorsman at 12:20 AM on June 28, 2005

First of all, make sure you've played through all the GBA Castlevanias and metroids, they're the best, most pure, expressions of that kind of game play.

Here is a list of games like castlevania, although some are more like it than others.

HotU tells me that Ikachan is a lot like cave story, and its usually right. Browse around the suggested games from the cave story page there to find more.

If you get really bored, you can check out the zzt link above, or get some Megazeux games, which are like zzt but slightly more advanced. Lots of them are in the exploratory platformer genre, and I wasted lots of time when I was younger playing and creating them.
posted by JZig at 1:40 AM on June 28, 2005

Someone on previous AskMe recommended Gamerankings.com. You can use the advanced search to find highly rated games in a particular genre/platform.
posted by Otis at 5:39 AM on June 28, 2005

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, for PlayStation, is one of the best platformers I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Sadly, it is also rare and ridiculously overpriced (used copies hover somewhere around $30). More recently, Viewtiful Joe and Viewtiful Joe 2 are also excellent, with great action engines.
posted by Faint of Butt at 6:55 AM on June 28, 2005

It's got distinct stages, multiple lives, and you never gain any new abilities.

Off the top of my head (if you want games heavy on exploration and abilities): Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap. One of my all-time favorites.

More recently, Psychonauts probably has all you're looking for, if you're willing to make the jump to 3D.

Flashback is an awesome game, but I don't think it fits the bill here. There isn't any item-collecting, and it's very mission-based. It's essentially Prince of Persia with a gun.
posted by Sibrax at 7:42 AM on June 28, 2005

As I recall, you do collect and use items in Flashback, and you also talk to NPCs. It controls like Prince of Persia, but I'd say it has more depth to it.
posted by ludwig_van at 10:33 AM on June 28, 2005

« Older Hip Hop song identification needed.   |   Pictograph Translations and Sound Newer »