Recommendation for a 35mm Scanning Workstation in NYC?

Can anyone recommend a place where I can scan 35mm slides on my own at a workstation in NYC?

I have some 35mm slides that it's very important to me to scan myself. Can anyone recommend a place in New York City that would allow me to come in and use their Nikon Coolscan 9000 (or 5000) and do the job? Buying a scanner just to do this doesn't make financial sense, but there must be a place that will allow me to come in and do it, no?
posted by Digital_Man to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I do not know of a place that rents out time on a Coolscan. I do know that Photo Village rents use of an Imacon at $250 per day and members of CCNY have access to their Imacon, though that will really only be useful if you're already a memeber.

Alternatively, take the train out to Long Beach (I'm six blocks from the station) and use my Coolscan 4000 in my living room. Feel guilty freeloading? Bring me a six pack, you're going to walk past a beer distributor anyhow. :)
posted by Brian Puccio at 3:36 PM on December 31, 2011 [3 favorites]

The ICP has good scaning/workstation facilities. Not sure if there is any way to use them.
posted by shothotbot at 4:13 PM on December 31, 2011

I have nothing but good things to say about Print Space NYC. Imacon scanning for just $50/hr, great staff.
posted by availablelight at 4:21 PM on December 31, 2011

So at those prices you may want to buy a scanner for yourself. Current flatbed scanners do a fine job. 95% quality of what a Coolscan can do and you will have complete control and security. Epson and Canon.
posted by caclwmr4 at 5:25 PM on December 31, 2011

Flatbed scanners are not the same quality as a Coolscan, much less an Imacon. Especially for 35mm.
posted by bradbane at 6:11 PM on December 31, 2011 [1 favorite]

I fully agree with bradbane. Higher end film scanners are levels of magnitude better than any flatbed/film adapter scanners that I've ever used. No comparison.
posted by imjustsaying at 2:51 AM on January 1, 2012

« Older Media depictions of empathy?   |   my lust for bargains and local food made me forget... Newer »