Help me find songs for a playlist.

Help me create an awesome playlist buying individual songs from iTunes.

I'm going away for a few days with some friends over the New Years weekend and our destination is 4 hours away by car. I'd like to find some amazing songs to fill up our playlist for the drive!

I've almost always been somebody who purchases complete albums to give the rest of the songs a shot. However, with the ability to sample album songs now with Amazon and iTunes I find myself purchasing a lot more individual songs now. So, I'd like your opinion on some great individual song recommendations. Songs do not have to be new.

We enjoy everything from Whitest Boy Alive, Phoenix, Assembly of Dust, Old Crow Medicine Show, Chromeo, Ray Montagne, Martin Sexton etc. By all means, if you have a great song recommendation I don't really care which genre it falls under. The only genre's I would say we generally don't listen to are heavy metal and pop country music.

Some examples of great songs I recently found on my own are:

Fluorescent Adolescent by the Arctic Monkeys
First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes
Baby I'm Yours by Breakbot
Banquet by Bloc party
Lights and Music by Cut Copy

Thank you everyone in advance.
posted by modoriculous to Shopping (12 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

"Homeboy" by Adorable
"B.O.B" by Outkast
posted by backwards guitar at 8:43 AM on December 27, 2011

Are you looking for music that is similar to what you've selected, or are you looking for driving music?

I know that seems a picayune distinction, but....there are some songs that are just good driving songs, and you need at least a few of these on there (a lot of these are older and more pop than what you have, but sod it):

"Who Do You Love", George Thorogood
"Baba O'Reilly", the Who
"Jessica," Allman Brothers
"No Sleep Till Brooklyn," Beastie Boys (you do not have to be either going to or coming from Brooklyn; somehow it doesn't matter)
"Skateaway," Dire Straits
"Synchronicity", The Police (note: this is the FIRST cut off that album, rather than the slightly-more-popular "Synchronicity II" that got released as a single)
"Get What You Give", New Radicals
"Run On," Moby

And I know you said "no pop country," but somehow Johnny Cash's version of "I've Been Everywhere" just fits.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 8:50 AM on December 27, 2011

If you don't mind an instrumental (okay, classical) break in there somewhere, both John Adams' Lollapalooza and Short Ride in a Fast Machine have always struck me as good driving music. Both are roughly the length of a pop song.

Here are some other individual favorites that you might enjoy based on your list:
- Owen Pallett, Lewis Takes Off His Shirt
- Kings of Convenience, Love is No Big Truth
- General Public, Tenderness
- Neko Case, This Tornado Loves You (you cool with alt-country?)
- Marnie Stern, Ruler
posted by troika at 8:55 AM on December 27, 2011

Been enjoying this song by Metronomy.

As this is the end of the year, a lot of blogs are posting "best of" lists that might be good places to explore songs new to you. Said the Gramophone lets you listen to the songs before you download them, so you could theoretically sample them and then go to Amazon or iTunes to buy the tracks.. Fluxblog has a good selection of songs, too.
posted by balmore at 8:57 AM on December 27, 2011

-Ocean Breathes Salty by Sun Kil Moon, a cover of the Modest Mouse version and a completely different and excellent take on the song.
-Blue Ridge Mountains by Fleet Foxes
-Holocene by Bon Iver
-See a Little Light by Bob Mould
-Runaway by The National (or virtually anything by The National)
-Crystal or True Faith by New Order
-Eight Miles High by The Byrds
-Rebellion (Lies) by Arcade Fire
posted by glaucon at 9:19 AM on December 27, 2011 [1 favorite]

I have a lot of these sort of driving songs (driving beat, not necessarily for being in the car) under a workout or working playlist.

"Love At First Sight," Kylie Minogue
"Take A Bow," Muse
"Both Sides Now," Jason Falkner
"Take Me Out," Franz Ferdinand
"Always On My Mind," Phantom Planet (not a Willie Nelson cover!)
Lots of stuff by Fantastic Plastic Machine, including "Lotto" and the cover of "There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)"
"Canned Heat," Jamiroquai
"Hang With Me," Robyn
"How I Got Over," The Roots
"Airplanes," Local Natives
"Go Do," Jonsi
"Feel So Close," Calvin Harris
"Chains," Kenna
"Somebody I Used To Know," Gotye feat. Kimbra
"Why?" Bronski Beat
"Do Ya?" ELO
"Free World," Kirsty MacColl
"Common People," Pulp and/or the William Shatner/Joe Jackson version
"Somebody Told Me," The Killers
"This Time Tomorrow," The Kinks
"Blind," Hercules and Love Affair
"Quiet Dog," Mos Def
"Statuesque," Sleeper
"Soda Jerk," Buffalo Tom
posted by Madamina at 9:40 AM on December 27, 2011 [1 favorite]

I would suggest that as you find songs and bands you like that you try to find concert recordings of them as well. There is so much more feeling and fun in the live recordings that just don't come through on an album

some sites to check out: (LEGAL!)
archive.org
bt.etree.org

some bands I love for driving that come to mind right now:
Gram Rabbit
Mountain Sprout
Poxy Boggards
Steppin' In It
Ben Sollee
Garbage
Lordi
Waybacks
posted by zombieApoc at 9:44 AM on December 27, 2011

Response by poster: Wow, great responses! I'm looking forward to sitting down and going through all of these! Looks like I'll have a pretty good selection and a lot of options. Thanks everybody! I'll definitely check out some end of the year blog posts as well. Also the pop country isn't completely out of the question so those suggestions are fine.
posted by modoriculous at 9:54 AM on December 27, 2011

Based on your picks, you might like the Fratellis (not new - maybe 5 yrs old) - here's Henrietta
posted by Mchelly at 10:34 AM on December 27, 2011

If you want driving music, you can't go wrong with essential mixes from the BBC -- each of them are 2 hours of non-stop continuously mixed music.

There's over a thousand hours of music here for download.

Based on what you described look for Boyz Noize, Justice, or Erol Akan...
posted by empath at 10:51 AM on December 27, 2011

The Kooks might be good for you. Also, I make iTunes Genius playlists pretty regularly and am pleased with the results -- similarly, their recommendations for things-you-might-like are often good.
posted by naturalog at 11:38 AM on December 27, 2011

Older, but for going over bridges at night (preferably with thunder and lightning, but I digress): "Heartbreak Beat" by the Psychedelic Furs.
posted by jgirl at 12:10 PM on December 27, 2011

« Older Movie ID question - complex car chase scene around...   |   Which caliber for a medium rifle? Newer »