Journalism Terms of Art....HALP!

Quick help with a journalism term of art, please!

How would a magazine editor describe sending the final draft of the publication to be printed? I'm thinking something along the lines of, "send the copy to press," but maybe I'm wrong...?
posted by angab to Media & Arts (10 answers total)

I work at Time Inc. Among my colleagues, at least, we most commonly say that we're transmitting files to the printer.
posted by bassomatic at 7:31 AM on December 14, 2011

"file the story." "I filed the story." "it's already filed."
posted by Miko at 7:35 AM on December 14, 2011

Yeah, "sent", "off", "filed" for a story, "put to bed" for an issue.
posted by likeso at 7:38 AM on December 14, 2011 [2 favorites]

+1 for "put to bed."
posted by jbickers at 7:43 AM on December 14, 2011 [1 favorite]

There is also "sent down." But yes, "put to bed" means closed, done, at the printer, game over.

Usually "filed" is author-to-editor; like "I filed the story" means it's turned in on deadline.
posted by RJ Reynolds at 7:47 AM on December 14, 2011

sending the final draft of the publication to be printed

This is a little confusingly phrased — "draft" implies text in a state prior to being laid out, while "to be printed" implies a finished layout. I have never heard "file" or "filed" used to describe the sending of pages to the printer. The wonderful old term is off stone.
posted by oliverburkeman at 8:10 AM on December 14, 2011

In my experience, "filed" is used when the author turns in copy to the editor. When the page is sent to the printer, it has "closed" or "shipped."
posted by neroli at 8:29 AM on December 14, 2011 [1 favorite]

And yeah, "put to bed" is used for the entire issue or newspaper section, not an individual story.
posted by neroli at 8:44 AM on December 14, 2011 [1 favorite]

I work at a magazine. We say "shipped." Used in a sentence: "The issue has shipped. No, you cannot add in some inane detail about a pork stand in New Jersey you drove by this morning."
posted by good day merlock at 9:00 AM on December 14, 2011 [2 favorites]

Put to bed.
Send to press.
Closed.
posted by Thorzdad at 1:25 PM on December 14, 2011

« Older Celebrities with hidden, incredible talents?   |   Too Old For A Freaking Booster Seat Newer »