Chips and salsa, maybe?

Share your tasty, un-refrigerated pot luck recipes.

I am attending a pot luck this evening after my dance class and need ideas for something that:
-Tastes great
-Doesn’t require refrigeration
-Doesn’t cause bad breath (it’s a dance party after all)
-Is easy to make

posted by chicken nuglet to Food & Drink (6 answers total)

- Caprese salad bites (halved mini mozzarella balls and cherry tomatos alternated with basil leaves on a toothpick, drizzled with olive oil and a pinch of salt)
- Assorted olives and marinated peppers arranged with salami, prosciutto, etc.
- Cheese or cookie plate
posted by cali at 2:50 PM on June 23, 2005

Do you have to make it? Does re-heating count? The selection of stuff in the warehouse (Costco, Sam's Club) store freezer section has gotten pretty good and certainly compares favorably with the price of fresh mozzerella for the above mentioned salad bites. And, most important to me, takes way less of my time.
posted by phearlez at 3:30 PM on June 23, 2005

My standard thing to take to something-

Corn Puddin'
1 16 oz can kernel corn, drained
1 16 oz can creamed corn
1 stick of butter, melted
1 egg
1 8 oz container sour cream
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
a pinch of sugar
a pinch of red pepper (if you want)

Mix it all together (add the egg last) and bake it at 350 for about 45 minutes. It's good hot and it's good room temp. It's just good.
posted by puddinghead at 5:30 PM on June 23, 2005

tofu -- slightly fried in canola oil (or any other of your choice)
1 can of tuna fish
2 tomatoes cut in small cubes
1 cup of small pasta (or rice)
2 cups of water.
your favorite seasoning (salt/pepper/...)
Boil together for 15mins -or until water is absorbed and
pasta cooked.
keep in refrigerator....

that's what I am having right now... yummy!
posted by carmina at 5:47 PM on June 23, 2005

Pasta salad -

boil rotini or penne - if you can get coloured/flavoured, all the better
Add chick peas, pink beans or kidney beans
tomatoes
feta chese
cucumber - whatever you like

a light olive oil dressing - you could fry up some garlic in it, unless you think that would be too smelly (cooked garlic is much less noticable)
mix with red wine or apple cider vinegar
add fresh herbs if you have them - basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, cilantro, or mint (you'd be surprised how well it works - just a little), maybe some fresh young dandelion greens.
if you don't have fresh herns, you could soak the dried in the oil ahead of time - not quite as nice, but still some flavour

It's very easy, very cheap without the feta (pasta and beans being the main ingrediants), and tasty when at room temperature. Can go for hours outside the fridge. It's also vegetarian - vegan if you remove the cheese - if that's a concern.
posted by jb at 8:49 PM on June 23, 2005

Bruschetta:

10 roma tomatoes
4-5 stalks fresh basil
Balsamic vinegar
Garlic
salt and pepper

Quarter the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds, then dice. Try to get fresh romas so there's not a lot of juice. Chop basil finely and add to mix. Dice garlic, or save time and throw in a couple tablespoons of pre-chopped garlic in a jar (I find this tastes mellower and better, actually). Add several splashes of balsamic and olive oil, enough to flavor the tomatoes but not enough to make the mix juicy. Flavor with salt and garlic, cover and chill in the fridge. Serve over toasted slices of baguette (I broil slices in the oven).
posted by hamster at 10:28 PM on June 23, 2005

« Older Building modern furniture   |   How to get a car stereo fixed cheaply in SF? Newer »