Surrealist Art and Fashion

I am looking for texts (papers, books, articles, monographs, websites) on surrealist art and its influence on fashion (and vice-versa). Do tell me if you know any.
posted by beshtya to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Elsa Schiaparelli (self link) is a good place to start. The first page of this pdf from 2002 is quite informative as is this one. Then there is this book.
posted by adamvasco at 7:09 AM on December 7, 2011

I also would be interested in any explicitly surrealist fashion. The only thing that comes to mind is Dali's mustache. I have read Breton's Surrealist Manifesto several times and find it endlessly thought-provoking. An excerpt:

"The simplest surrealist act consists in going into the street with revolvers in your fist and shooting blindly into the crowd as much as possible."

Not too many people would call that surrealism in 2011 but I suppose he was being deliberately hyperbolic
posted by bukvich at 3:17 PM on December 7, 2011

Friends of mine have mounted a giant exhibition of modern surrealist art in eastern PA that opens this Friday night. Their website has much information on it (not sure about re: fashion, though).
posted by LeLiLo at 11:26 AM on January 4, 2012

« Older Brrrrrrrrrrr-illiant gift ideas needed!   |   Help a girl meet more guys in No Fun City..... Newer »