Help Me Help Myself to a Nice Hot Cup of Tea
December 5, 2011 8:54 AM   Subscribe

At a dinner party last night, the hostess served tea in these ingenious mug devices that had a) a ceramic strainer that fit inside the mug and b) a little mini-plate that sat on top of the mug, keeping the tea warm and serving as a place to put the strainer with the tea leaves when you were done steeping. Does anyone happen to know what these are called so I can look for them online?
posted by foxy_hedgehog to Food & Drink (12 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
Like this? There are a few options on Amazon.
posted by Admiral Haddock at 8:58 AM on December 5, 2011

Bodum makes several versions. Here's one.
posted by Madamina at 8:58 AM on December 5, 2011

Googling ceramic/strainer/mug/lid achieved this result (among others), "The The Spot Steeping Mug." Maybe "steeping mug" would be a helpful search term?
posted by MonkeyToes at 8:59 AM on December 5, 2011

My wife has several of these and adores them. The strainer used to be ceramic but the more recent models are stainless steel. She actually prefers the stainless steel ones.

She also uses the cup with other beverages because she likes the size and feel.

*The link is to the red ones but they make various colors.
posted by beowulf573 at 9:06 AM on December 5, 2011

They're sometimes called "infuser mugs" or "infuser cups." I have this mug, which I bough years ago from the English Tea Store.
posted by eunoia at 9:12 AM on December 5, 2011

Stash Tea calls them infuser mugs.
posted by dywypi at 9:14 AM on December 5, 2011 [1 favorite]

I have one but the strainer's holes are way too big and the tea leaves just fall right through. Make sure you get a good look at the strainer part before buying.
posted by radioamy at 10:18 AM on December 5, 2011 [1 favorite]

If you have an Asian grocer near you that sells non-food items too, or a Chinatown, check there, as they're in abundance in those places, and usually quite cheap.
posted by backwards guitar at 10:25 AM on December 5, 2011

Further to my answer above, there's a local shop here in Boston that sells something very much like this, which features a mesh insert. Super colorful--looks like so much fun. I've always coveted one. I wanted to say that they are made by a Japanese company called Beehouse, but I may be mistaken.
posted by Admiral Haddock at 11:09 AM on December 5, 2011

I would second the suggestion of an Asian store as I have one of these and my daughter brought it to me from China.
posted by St. Alia of the Bunnies at 3:27 PM on December 5, 2011

Traditional Korean teacups are like this. I have many and they rule.
posted by Joseph Gurl at 10:00 PM on December 5, 2011

« Older Could my friend's car be to blame for 2 spin-outs?   |   Am i feeding my cat too much?? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.