Desert Gifts
November 30, 2011 1:23 PM   Subscribe

Recommend some nifty gift ideas for desert living!!

A couple I know is building a cabin in the desert in California... not to live there permanently but for short stays (good quiet space for writing/getting away from the city). I'd like to get them a gift suitable for this situation. Something to help them keep cool perhaps? they like hip designer style, gourmet cooking, and eco-awareness. something computer-y might be good too. Couple-centric ideas are good as well as experience type gifts (I dunno... desert training lessons??)
What are some good gifts ideas for them? I'm willing to consider cost in the low hundreds if really good.
Thanks Metafilter Hive Mind!!
posted by Bwithh to Shopping (15 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Something to help them keep cool perhaps?

It gets cold at night in the desert, so something to keep warm would probably be equally welcome.
posted by griphus at 1:27 PM on November 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

Perhaps one of these fine tools?
posted by bz at 1:35 PM on November 30, 2011

If they're from a climate that's not nearly as sunny, they might be shocked at the intensity of the sun even in winter. I've gotten burns hiking in Joshua Tree on a clear day in February. Sun proof hats and clothing with SPF ratings are the best.
posted by slow graffiti at 1:59 PM on November 30, 2011

I imagine some very nice moisturizers, lip balms, sunscreens, and sun hats would be welcome.
posted by bq at 2:00 PM on November 30, 2011

Thanks guys for the answers so far. The couple in mind have already been to the desert here a number of times and live in LA, so I'd assume they have basic familiarity and equipment (though maybe not snake handling gear!)
posted by Bwithh at 2:02 PM on November 30, 2011

A few suggestions:
- a nice atlas of the stars
- a dutch oven
- a croquet or horseshoe set
- my favorite dry skin buster is Weleda Skin food
- a gift certificate to Pappy & Harriets if they are anywhere close.
- a car safety kit (including Fix-a-Flat!)
posted by Duffington at 2:28 PM on November 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

Okay then, I have a better idea based on Duffington's suggestion; if your budget allows, buy them a telescope, a nice one. The stars in the desert at night are unreal.
posted by slow graffiti at 3:13 PM on November 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

a telescope is a great suggestion. Also, will the cabin have power from the grid or is it really rustic? Maybe they could use a cabin solar kit.
posted by Chris4d at 3:36 PM on November 30, 2011

Also, will the cabin have power from the grid or is it really rustic?
Not sure, but I believe they plan to go all solar.

keep the great suggestions coming, everyone!
posted by Bwithh at 3:40 PM on November 30, 2011

Some form of Solar Cooker.
posted by DisreputableDog at 6:00 PM on November 30, 2011

A sun tea jar, and teas.
posted by Tufa at 7:18 PM on November 30, 2011

If they enjoy gardening, desert-adapted flower and vegetable seeds from Native Seeds/SEARCH.
posted by Tufa at 7:20 PM on November 30, 2011

A patio mister.
posted by bendy at 7:53 PM on November 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

A pair of these flame-column patio heaters might be very nice. There's a restaurant near where I live that has a pair and they look great even though they don't seem to put out as much heat as the more traditional radiant mushroom heaters. (or, if you want to go all out.)
posted by bz at 11:09 PM on November 30, 2011

Thanks for all the good ideas everyone!
posted by Bwithh at 1:22 PM on December 1, 2011

« Older To infinity and beyond   |   Pastry dough is sticking to my countertop when I... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.