Buzz off already!
November 28, 2011 8:03 AM   Subscribe

YANMD: Should I see a GP or go straight to an ENT about this buzzing in my right ear?

For at least a week I've noticed that my right ear has a slight buzzing noise when I'm in a quiet room or when I'm sleeping. I've laid off using earbuds as of late, which seemed to amplify the problem. My left ear is fine, so I'm not sure if it's my earbud use or not (I try keep the volume at a moderate level.)

I used to get a lot of ear infections as a kid, so this could possibly be stemming from that. There's not so much pain but just a general level of discomfort and annoyance. Anything I should try before seeing a doctor?
posted by Anima Mundi to Health & Fitness (4 answers total)
Find out if your insurance requires you to get a recommendation from a GP before seeing a specialist.
posted by HMSSM at 8:23 AM on November 28, 2011

Here's some info on tinnitus, which suggests going to your GP and getting a referral to an ENT if needed.
posted by desjardins at 8:37 AM on November 28, 2011 [1 favorite]

Otolaryngology (ENT) is a surgical specialty; don't make that your first stop.
posted by Wordwoman at 9:53 AM on November 28, 2011 [1 favorite]

Went to GP, turns out it's fluid in the ear.

Metafilter: Saves you money. :)
posted by Anima Mundi at 5:16 PM on November 30, 2011

« Older Splash-slash-slosh?   |   I made a stupid mistake a flushed Clorox wipes... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.