GET YOURS THUMBS UP OUT OF MY FACE, KIND SIR

Is there a way to disable Facebook notifications for when someone likes something you post/comment? I don't mean e-mail notifications, I mean the little globe icon notifications on the top left corner of the Facebook site. This is driving me crazy.

I do not want Facebook to clutter my notifications page with "likes" of my posts. It buries things I actually want to respond to, like people commenting to me, posting on my wall, accepting friend requests, etc. I realize I can turn on e-mail notification for those things so I don't lose them, but that would be more annoying that the like notifications on-site. I want the important stuff on the FB site only, but not buried.

Also, I had to completely turn off notifications on my phone because the "like" notifications were constantly coming up, and they're distracting and annoying. I want to turn notifications on my phone for the important things -- insofar as anything on FB can be called "important" lolz -- but I can't because of the stupid likes.

I have tried all the following:

- The manage notifications page only lets you disable e-mail notifications. This solves nothing for me, because I already have those disabled.

- If you go to the "show all notifications" page and hover over one of the likes-your-post notifications, pressing the X that appears only gives the option to "mark as spam." For one, these are not spam really, and I don't want to accidentally mark someone as a spammer since I know FB monitors for spammer accounts, and secondly, I think this only removes that single notification.

- I read that if you have people in a list, you can click on the list on the left-hand side of the FB page, and it will take you to a page where you should have a drop-down notification menu. Well, this drop-down menu does not exist for any list that I've made. It exists for groups, but that isn't the problem I'm having. I would be satisfied if I could disable like notifications from certain groups, but I can't do this.

- I don't want to have to ask people to stop liking things, and really I don't want them to stop liking things -- I just want to quit being updated every. single. time. it happens. I like being able to see that someone has liked something, and asking people to stop also seems weird, rude, and unrealistic to me anyway.

Is there seriously no way to turn this off? I can find no other options anywhere on the Facebook site; if they exist, they don't make it easy to find.
posted by Nattie to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Account Settings --> Notifications --> All Notifications --> Facebook --> Deselect "Likes your post" and "Likes a post you're tagged in"
posted by dfriedman at 11:04 PM on November 27, 2011

If it's not clear, go to Account Settings via the little arrow pointing down in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. "Notifications" is on the left-hand side of the screen. "All notifications" is about 2/3 of the way down on its screen, and "Facebook" is the first option you can choose under "All notifications."
posted by dfriedman at 11:06 PM on November 27, 2011

Shit, it looks like maybe that's not what you're asking, not sure. Sorry if this doesn't help.
posted by dfriedman at 11:08 PM on November 27, 2011

Response by poster: That's for e-mail only. I already have that disabled (thankfully). I am talking about on-site, not e-mail. :(
posted by Nattie at 11:08 PM on November 27, 2011

Have you looked into Greasemonkey solutions? I don't know if one exists for this, but I have a bunch of Greasemonkey scripts running to make Facebook behave a bit better.
posted by auto-correct at 11:13 PM on November 27, 2011

Second greasemonkey. Suspect something may exist, or someone clever could make a little java to rip that UI element out of the client side code.
posted by nozendo at 11:25 PM on November 27, 2011

Response by poster: I've thought about that because I like GM scripts, but I'm not sure that it's possible for a GM script to achieve what I want. I think at best it could hide the likes in my all-notifications page so I see only everything else, but it would have to see the page to do so -- meaning I would have to click the button without knowing if there's anything important, which is a huge part of the annoyance I'm having now anyway. I want to only see that I have notifications, and check those notifications, when they're anything but likes. Also, in real time as I get the notifications, my important ones would still be drowned out by the likes -- I can get several in a single minute and it's very easy to miss that something else happened in that time -- and it wouldn't help on my phone. It could change some display options but not how Facebook actually tallies notifications, or if I have notifications or not... right? I might be underestimating GM scripts.

It would be better than nothing whenever I'm away for the computer for a while, but I would still be checking the notification page a lot just to see that I don't actually have anything I care about. Even just clicking the button to reset the notifications to zero as often as I have to is driving me crazy whether there ends up being anything important or not, but I can't just have a script to constantly reset it because I don't want to not know if I have any notifications and if I were going to do that I may as well just ignore the number and my notifications anyway.

It's a nice thought, but I don't think it would make much of a difference... :(
posted by Nattie at 11:36 PM on November 27, 2011

Response by poster: It seems to be moot since I can't find a GM script or browser extension or anything that claims to do it anyway, though I found some other nice FB scripts. I know I shouldn't be shocked that FB doesn't simply allow you not to get like notifications, but it seems like such an obvious thing to let you change that I keep hoping I'm simply missing it.
posted by Nattie at 11:48 PM on November 27, 2011

« Older Can I make a Belkin USB Cable Act Like A Direct...   |   Hole in a metal box Newer »