Looking for songs with mutiple parts where music and vocals drop out for several seconds.

So, y'know that one part in Novacaine for the Soul around 1:20 where the music and vocals drop out completely for 3 or 4 seconds? I am look for not-too-obscure songs that have MULTIPLE occurrences of that kind of complete drop out of music and vocals.

I am NOT looking for songs where the music cuts out completely, but the vocals are still present. I am NOT looking for songs that only have the music and vocals drop out once. There should be more than one completely silent part, and each part should be several seconds long. What songs fit the bill?
posted by 23skidoo to Media & Arts (16 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

If only I could remember the artist. There is a fantastic 60s French song called La Silence which cuts out several times, increasing in duration. Great when DJing as everyone freezes pose during the silences.
posted by wingless_angel at 9:51 AM on November 14, 2011

I can think of some Strokes songs that do that once but not more than that. I agree that it will be hard to find a song that does it more than once.
posted by timsneezed at 9:51 AM on November 14, 2011

There are a few great pauses in "Run" by Gnarls Barkley, but they aren't as long as the one in your example.
posted by hermitosis at 9:53 AM on November 14, 2011

"The Little Girl I Once Knew,"the Beach Boys' second-to-last single before Pet Sounds, does this twice, and was a failure for that reason. (At this point in their career, only making the Top 20 was a failure.) Supposedly DJs felt that listeners, especially those who happened to tune in during the pause itself, would change the station and/or assume the DJ screwed up somehow.
posted by Adventurer at 10:13 AM on November 14, 2011

Supervixen by garbage? I thought the CD was broken at first! It's got a few points where it cuts out but probably for less than a second each time.
posted by kg at 10:18 AM on November 14, 2011

"Stop" by Janes Addiction has two such breaks. Possibly not as long as you're looking for.
posted by LionIndex at 10:21 AM on November 14, 2011 [1 favorite]

The Replacements - Can't Hardly Wait (Pleased to Meet Me version) has two significant breaks, at 1:28 and 2:09. But those are "stop and start playing again" breaks - not music just "dropping out", because it's not that kind of music. I'm not sure if that will do it for you?
posted by peagood at 10:36 AM on November 14, 2011

Check out Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Good Squad - this is a topic of obsession for one of the characters. And it's a good book.
posted by ferociouskitty at 11:29 AM on November 14, 2011 [1 favorite]

Richard Hawley's old band The Longpigs - She Said. Excellent scream on the way back in too.
posted by merocet at 11:47 AM on November 14, 2011 [1 favorite]

"Ranking Full Stop" by the English Beat stops (full stop) a few times; I don't think it's too obscure, but I'm a little out of touch ...
posted by Koko at 12:33 PM on November 14, 2011

"Rising Din" by Faun Fables uses two such breaks to transition prechorus to chorus, one (shorter) at 1:57 and one (longer) at 3:13.
posted by metaman livingblog at 4:53 PM on November 14, 2011

I can't recall if Fugazi's Waiting Room has one or two (and can't listen right now...)
posted by Jacob G at 6:35 PM on November 14, 2011

Just one (it was first on my list before I reread the requirements) but it's a classic.
posted by dfan at 6:53 PM on November 14, 2011

Billy Joel - The River of Dreams has two breaks. Maybe not enough.
posted by John Cohen at 8:23 PM on November 14, 2011 [1 favorite]

Thanks for all the responses. Steve Harley and the Cockney Rebel's "Come Up and See ME (Make Me Smile)" with its 5 drop-outs was exactly what I was looking for. Yay AskMe.
posted by 23skidoo at 8:16 AM on November 18, 2011

« Older Yes, and then the next number is?   |   The Thing from Under the Baseboard. Newer »