I WANT MY OLD GOOGLE BACK

WTF Google News? Is it me or did Google just implement a change that means if you click on the the News tab, it clears the search field, forcing me to re-type what I was JUST searching for? How, in the name of all that is holy, do I make it stop?
posted by Dasein to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

No, I just noticed that as well. I tried using a different browser and logging in and out of my Google account. Images and video searches retain the query, but News clears it.
posted by Burhanistan at 7:04 PM on November 10, 2011

This is part of Google's wacky new redesign, which they've been rolling out for weeks. The tabs at the top of the page take you to the homepage for that function. If you want to search, then pick a subcategory to hone your search, you have to use the navigation to the left of your search results (where it says "Everything," "Images," etc.).
posted by decathecting at 7:04 PM on November 10, 2011

Ah, I see decathecting. I think that's really, really stupid, but at least I still have the option of preserving the search by using the menu under Search on the left of the page. Thanks.

Google may now proceed to get off my lawn.
posted by Dasein at 7:17 PM on November 10, 2011 [2 favorites]

To be sure, over the past week or few days I've been having search fields cleared upon results often, with my search terms reappearing when I click in the search field.
posted by rhizome at 7:55 PM on November 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

^ that, and it's incredibly frustrating
posted by radiosilents at 8:23 PM on November 10, 2011

Huh. For a long time I've been using the left hand sidebar to do this. I guess that makes me an early adopter :)
posted by sbutler at 9:20 PM on November 10, 2011

Never mind the function, look at all the professional new typography!
posted by flabdablet at 10:58 PM on November 10, 2011

« Older How can I show a totally awesome teenager how...   |   Bible Belt Exploration Newer »