Help me remember this quote!

Please help me find this quote! If I remember correctly, it says something to the affect of that if you write something and you don't provoke some sort of negative response or disagreement, than what you've written wasn't worth writing?

I've been searching around, and my googling has failed me. It's possible it says something similar but with a different structure, so any quotes about writing/getting strong responses are welcome. Thanks all!
posted by kylej to Religion & Philosophy (7 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Is it this Kingsley Amis line? "If you can't annoy somebody, there is little point in writing."

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/13078.Kingsley_Amis
posted by serialcomma at 6:15 PM on October 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

There's a quote attributed to Oscar Wilde: "An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all."

I rather disagree with this, but that's as may be.
posted by Johnny Assay at 6:16 PM on October 30, 2011

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard
posted by southern_sky at 6:16 PM on October 30, 2011

"Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes everyone liked- they left that to the Bee Gees." -Wayne Campbell
posted by drjimmy11 at 10:31 PM on October 30, 2011

Along the same lines but not specific to writing:

"You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something.” ― Eminem
posted by Nickel at 11:36 PM on October 30, 2011

If we're off just literature, there's the famous Mao screed 'To be attacked by the enemy is not a bad thing, but a good thing.':
It is good if we are attacked by the enemy, since it proves that we have drawn a clear line of demarcation between the enemy and ourselves. It is still better if the enemy attacks us wildly and paints us as utterly black and without a single virtue; it demonstrates that we have not only drawn a clear line of demarcation between the enemy and ourselves but achieved a great deal in our work.
posted by Abiezer at 2:36 PM on October 31, 2011

An outside possibility (and a favorite of mine): "Of all that is written, I love only what a person hath written with his blood." -Nietzsche
posted by gentian at 4:24 PM on October 31, 2011

« Older It's getting hot in here   |   Will teflon tape counteract a bad compression ring... Newer »