Why is it so grippy?

Please help my son research grip tape for a demonstrative speech.

My son is a freshman in college who works in a skate shop. For his communications class, he will be doing a five to six minute speech demonstrating how to apply grip tape to a board. He wants to talk about the science of how grip tape works, but I'm afraid we don't have the physics vocabulary to get us to the right articles. Thanks!
posted by simbiotic to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Searching "skateboard grip tape patent" (without the quotation marks) will lead you to information containing scientific terms and descriptions that will help his research.
posted by taz at 1:25 AM on October 26, 2011

It's grippy because of the silicon carbide particles which are sprayed onto perforated PVC backing layered with epoxy. The perforations make it easier to apply without bubbles.
posted by roofus at 2:05 AM on October 26, 2011

If it's a demonstrative speech about how to apply the grip tape and it's only supposed to be five to six minutes total, he might reconsider whether it's a great idea to spend time talking about something that is not demonstrative or really germane to the topic of his speech - which is to demonstrate how to stick the tape on the board. Putting grip tape on a board takes about five minutes even if you're not explaining the process while you're doing it.
posted by The World Famous at 3:01 AM on October 26, 2011 [2 favorites]

roofus nails the why, but if he wants to discuss properties of physics, I think (high school physics was a long time ago) you're looking for the term "coefficient of friction".
posted by namewithoutwords at 10:22 AM on October 26, 2011

« Older Where can I find information about the public view...   |   What's this touch-o-phobia I have? Newer »