monitors

If You're doing Digital photography and using photshop , which is the best type of monitor ?
posted by sgt.serenity to Computers & Internet (15 answers total)

Apple cinema screens look indeed awesome. a friend is using the new Vaio (the G5-lookalike unit Sony did, only black) and the screen looks so pretty also. a freidn swears by some LaCie monitors but I have never used them
posted by matteo at 4:24 PM on June 14, 2005

I have a Dell ultra-sharp LCD and it works great. I think that it used to be that CRTs were better because there were more existing utilities for them and the drivers and displays were more mature, but now I think LCDs are far superior. Just make sure you get something with ultra-fine or ultra-high resolution... that's the important part.
posted by SpecialK at 4:44 PM on June 14, 2005

If you're interested in color management, be sure to get a CRT and not an LCD, at least at this point. If you're dead serious about the best monitor for this type of work, definitely go with a LaCie CRT.
posted by Optimus Chyme at 4:48 PM on June 14, 2005

LCDs still don't give consistant colour. CRT is definitely better for photoshop, but LCD is more convenient. I use LCD a lot for photoshop, but anything where colours, brightness, or contrast are important, I'll either do on a CRT, or do it on LCD but do a final check and tweak on a CRT.

As to actual monitor brands/models, sorry, no help there :)
posted by -harlequin- at 4:50 PM on June 14, 2005

Warning--I've seen complaints that the new Apple displays have a pink or yellow bias.
See: a google query.
posted by ryanrs at 4:51 PM on June 14, 2005

If you're leaning toward LCD, definitly check out Formac's offerings. Their picture quality, imho, is better than the best Apple displays.

I would agree, however, that CRT is still the better way to go. It's a highly mature technology.
posted by pmbuko at 4:57 PM on June 14, 2005

Definately don't get a LaCie Electron Blue IV, since it's just a rebranded NEC/Mitsubishi 2141SB, for more money.
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 5:02 PM on June 14, 2005

I did not know that, C_D. What about the other LaCies?
posted by Optimus Chyme at 5:19 PM on June 14, 2005

CRTs may have better colour, but a digital LCD has no distortion, and Photoshop can adjust for an overall colour bias.
posted by krisjohn at 5:22 PM on June 14, 2005

CRTs generally offer more contrast than LCDs. Dunno if that matters to you... I'm partial to a good trinitron monitor, myself.
posted by shepd at 5:31 PM on June 14, 2005

Krisjohn:
Photoshop can't adjust for the bulk of the LCD colour/contrast issues. Once I've been using them a few weeks/months, I feel confident to do it mentally most of the time, but for example, the problem with the contast being almost entirely based on how you're sitting in your chair, never goes away, you just get better at minimising it, and mentally compensating for it.
posted by -harlequin- at 5:41 PM on June 14, 2005

I have both, and still don't think I can trust LCD displays. Images look different depending on viewing angle, there is always some kind of cast, etc. Regardless of which kind you choose, proper calibration and learning about color management are essential.
posted by ig at 5:54 PM on June 14, 2005

What about the other LaCies?

LaCie doesn't make a single piece of equipment, if memory serves. They're just a big rebranding outfit.

For example: LaCie 321 LCD (ooh, Futura!) vs. NEC 2180UX.

Oh, and to directly answer the question: Get a CRT if you care about color clarity off-axis, and make it an NEC/Mitsubishi. That's not to say LCDs aren't up to the challenge, however. There are some amazing LCDs that would blow away just about any CRT. But they cost (a lot) more.

For $650 or less, there's nothing you can get in LCD that will beat a good CRT (like the NEC FP2141, for example).
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 8:06 PM on June 14, 2005

Oh, here's another fabulous LCD (slightly less expensive at only ~$6000) that can display in Adobe RGB colorspace. Suffice to say, it's k-rad to the xtreme.
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 8:10 PM on June 14, 2005

No matter which monitor you get, proper color management requires that you calibrate it and create an ICC profile for use on your system.
A tool like this one is highly recommended.
posted by Thorzdad at 1:05 PM on June 15, 2005

« Older PCMCIA storage card in Tucson AZ   |   Ripping .txt files from archive DVDs Newer »