What do women who are losing their hair use on the back of the scalp?
October 25, 2011 9:07 AM   Subscribe

I am a woman 30 yr old woman experiencing spotty hair loss around my scalp, in the front and a lot of thinning at the back. Minoxidil 3% is working great for my front, but what should i use for the back?

On the box it says it's only for the front of the hair line and temples. What on earth am I supposed to use for the back that will work just as well? I'm also taking viviscal, biotin, selenium and iron. I would like to make an appt with a hair loss doctor but most of them seem to offer laser treatments etc. What has worked for you? Any womans hair loss advice is appreciated.
posted by JJkiss to Health & Fitness (4 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
See a dermatologist to try to figure out whether your hair loss has an underlying medical cause that can be treated.
posted by decathecting at 9:32 AM on October 25, 2011

Have you seen your GP/PCP about the problem? There are many medical conditions that can cause hairloss (especially patchy hairloss).
posted by missmagenta at 9:54 AM on October 25, 2011

If it's your thyroid, you're looking at synthroid, not a topical solution. Get bloodwork done.
posted by availablelight at 11:22 AM on October 25, 2011

Get tested for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome - hair loss due to excessive androgens is a common side effect. If PCOS is the source, your doctor can prescribe anti-androgens like Spironolactone to help block the testosterone that is triggering the hair loss. Also, in addition to the Minoxidil, look for a shampoo that removes DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) from your scalp.
posted by cecic at 12:24 PM on October 25, 2011

« Older I want to do this the easy way but I don't know...   |   Bosses of Bosses meeting with Bosses of Bosses Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.