My kingdom for a cloud solution

Help me cloud-ize my home.

I have approx. 750GB of media and a lot of devices. I'm really sick of trying to manage it all by hand, so I turn to the Green for some help. I have a budget of about $200 for hardware/software. I want a solution that will:

- Allow me to stream video to my Boxee Box without running an external HDD between the computer on which I rip DVDs/download media, back to the Box, and then back to the computer the next time I need to add something.
- Allow me to access my bajillion photos from my computer or iOS devices, share them with family easily, and keep them semi-organized.
- Help me wirelessly keep backups of my computer(s).

I'm thinking a Pogoplug and a very large HDD, but the key here is that I want to go as simple as possible. I don't know anything about Pogoplug except that it allows for accessing media from mobile devices, and that it's generally highly recommended. While I am a nerd, and I'm capable of sitting down and working out some sort of complex system, I do go to school full-time AND work full-time. So ideally, something I can set up on a long weekend and then only update as needed to add new media.

Help me, Green, for I am frustrated?

(if it helps, I'm running: OSX 10.7.2 and iOS 5.)
posted by iarerach to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

The pogo looks compelling, I like the idea for it, an alternative which may or may not work with the boxee is a sizeable hard drive hanging off of an Apple Airport Extreme, you can time machine to it as well..

I have the same requirements and ended up going with a mac mini running lion server, it's pricier but I felt a little bit easier to add features to down the road.
posted by iamabot at 2:20 PM on October 21, 2011

Maybe a Drobo? I haven't personally used it, but it has a pretty good reputation. There may be newer, better or cheaper alternatives though.
posted by madh at 2:20 PM on October 21, 2011

Boxee can stream files directly from an SMB share on the network. Turn on file sharing with SMB in Lion, and you should be in business!
posted by zsazsa at 2:26 PM on October 21, 2011

Be warned that the Lion SMB implementation is a bit on the shit side. I had to se-setup my media player arrangement to use NFS instead of SMB as a result of Lion.
posted by pompomtom at 2:51 PM on October 21, 2011

Agreed with pompomtom, they totally f'd smb in lion, but NFS still works ok.
posted by iamabot at 3:18 PM on October 21, 2011

Since your cloud needs are only photos. I would say a pro account with Flickr and a Time Machine compatible NAS and steam video over SMB.
posted by wongcorgi at 4:58 PM on October 21, 2011

« Older Innovative names for innovation   |   Can you help me reduce pick-hand pain when I play... Newer »